TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,
Now that the winter is setting in, the battery is playing havoc!!!
Can anyone recommend a good battery for my tiller? im shopping around but dont want a cheap crappy halfords issue!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ive heard about a new ( well to me it is ) battery AGM i cant remember what the a stands for but the rest of it A? Glass Matt im hearing they are suited to the Agriculture Family of motor cycles you may of heard of them henry,horney oh hang on i remember now harley d, anyway these batterys are better suited to vibration can be turned upside down have more cranking amps etc , im still waiting for offical tech data & price on these batterys here's hoping they will manufacture one for the TL, i'm also going to run a switch so i can turn the head lamp off while i start it. As your in GB you'll probably get access to this battery way before me as i'm in Australia

·
Registered
397 Posts
Absorbed Glass Matt Batterys do a search on google have a read see what you think maybe some one out there has this battery already and can give us a review ? Im reading up on them now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cant find any for bikes though :-(
we used these in a few high performance cars (which also had large ice systems installed)
only other thing i can think of is designing a solar trickle charge system thats permanently fixed on the bike, got a few solar panels left over from when i built a solar powered pc so might give it a go over the weekend!:O:)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The Odyssey batteries are AGM :thumbup

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I like the spec sheet on the Odyssey PC310 but still wondering about proper fit on the TLR
I have installed one it does fit if you remove the foam from the battery box and make up a new longer + lead that goes to the relay as the terminals are not at the edge of the battery they are more towards the middle. Other than that lots of cranking power.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought an Everstart MaXX at walmart its an AGM battery, the model 12abs iirc. its a bit longer than the battery box though so its ziptied in place.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Lol, my battery has been relocated under the hump and if I want to fit a seat back on there that's the only battery small enough.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Yuasa OEM battery is fine, just use a "tender" mine, in the TLS is over 9 years old. The key to a happy battery is keeping them fully charged.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I ride my bike everyday(97tls)I bought it almost 4 years ago it came with a Yuasa (not the stock one) it lasted 6 months. bought a new Yuasa...it lasted 8 months. bought a bottom of the line everstart from Wal Mart it has been in there almost 2 years it starts fine even in cold weather when the engine is cold. I do not charge or battery tend any of my bike batteries.

·
Registered
200 Posts
So you bought 3 batteries in that one year. A battery tender is like 29 dollars. I don't see your point.
I have worked in a dealer for over 8 eight years. I sold a lot of batteries. I set them up correctly. Not everyone does. This is the first problem. Most people don't follow the instructions. If you fill a battery and put it right into a bike it will start it, but it won't last. The initial charge is the single most important part to making these bats last. They have to soak for at least an hour when filled, before the initial charge, or you're charging dry plates, not good. Many dealers put their batteries in the bikes on the floor and let them sit until they are sold. For months or longer. Also not good. Often the bike comes back early in the first season with battery issues. Even during the riding season, top any battery off once a month and they last a long, long time. Tenders are cheap, batteries are not....let alone being stranded.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I paid 74.00 for the first two OEM Yausa batteries that in fact failed me. And less than 40.00 for a battery that is about to outlast them both. That is my experience take from it what you will when deciding to buy a new battery. I have a trickle charger and I use it to charge all new batteries....its not rocket science.Its just not something I do regularly. But I live in Orlando FL. U.S.A. so cold weather is not a factor. I have a 2002 Honda 919 that has the original battery with 57,000 miles and Ive never done any of the things you recommended.Its seven years old!!! Sometimes I dont start it for 2 weeks. But when I do she purrs like a kitty. I dont doubt what you say. But these are also my real life experiences. Not a discussion on who is right or wrong. We are both right. :O

1 - 20 of 21 Posts