TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this TLR and the guy told me he bent the forks. when i strapped it into my truck and brought it home i saw the right fork leaked. so my question is how hard is it to rebuild a fork, for someone who has never done it? and can i tell if the fork is bent and fix it or does a shop need to do that.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If it is bent you would need to get a new fork.

I bought an extra set off of e-bay for mine just to rebuild with stiffer springs and cost me $100 for the set shipped. Not bad!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Replacing seals isn't too hard, though it is a bit involved - just really depends on how generally adept you are with mechanical things. Dough has a step-by-step pictoral and the section in the factory suzuki service manual is also quite good. You'll need something to serve as a spring compressor and fork seal driver.

Generally on an inverted fork the lower chromed part is what bends. You'd need to strip the fork and lay a straight edge on that part to see if its bent.

A place like computrack or Traxxion should be able to do a full inspection to check for bent tubes and then rebuild - might be worth having them done up right if you aren't comfortable with the procedure.

Plan on rebuilding any used forks you get as they'll usually need it. You can also buy just the lower fork leg as needed I think from suzuki.

I edited your thread title because forks and shocks are very different things.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the edit:) i just dont want to spend the kind of money it takes to have someone else fix it if i can do it my self. the shop near here said if i take it a part and bring in the lower part they can tell me for $40 if its bent. Im just thinking if i have the thing torn apart why not rebuild it completely, if its easy enough.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what kind of a price am i looking at for them to do work on my forks?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Usually about $200 to have a shop rebuild the forks (assuming you take them the forks), about $100ish to do it yourself (not counting the cost of special tools).

Note that you can't take the fork apart without doing some damage to the bushings and seals so you don't have a lot of choice there (but if its leaking it needs new bushings and seals anyway).

Have a look at doug's tutorial and the service manual and you should be able to get a good idea of whether its something you want to do or not.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow maybe i want to just send it in. thanks for that link.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts