TLZone Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i am thinking about rebuilding my motor this winter , if it ever gets cold for long . was 35 today and this sat going to be 62 ,lol but i was wondering a good place to get a rebuild kit, and is it hard to build it ? i can do car engines and tranz all day long. but thanks for the help guys killer site :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
How many miles do you have? These motors last a long time, it seems unlikely you'd gain anything from a re-build unless you are installing cams, high comp pistons etc....

N2 tore his motor down at 60+ k miles (and lots of drag racing) and the pistons and bores still looked like new.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Well you should check to make sure the throttle bodies are seated properly. Pull the tank and airbox, then closely inpect where the throttle body goes into the boot. Sounds like the timing chain is slapping around when the TB is not seated.

Also the front exhaust gasket could be to blame. Don't take the chance and check the oil plug for metal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
:confused I have the same tick from the front. Im gonna check my plug again. Let us know what you come up with. I ve got 13,500 miles on a 2001.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
stupid question here... did you check your valve clearances?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
+1

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
:stupid Check the valve clearances.

Recommended oil is 10W-40 with 10W-40 as an alternative. The 5W stuff might be contributing to the problem. :O

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
the tick is usually the scissor gears on the cams....i've had 2 set under warranty....was quiet for the first few thousand after cams fitted,,then slowly came back...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well I think the manual calls for the valves to be checked at 16000 miles. And Im not sure if this is something that I want to do myself. Im a electrician with little mechanical experience. I love the tl far too much to F$$$ it up myself. Any Idea on the average cost??

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,540 Posts
Download the appropriate manual (TLS or TLR) from SteveTLS' site here: http://wotid.com/tls/content/view/26/74/

Go to page 2-7 (TLR) and you'll see how to access the crank with a 17mm socket. Read the manual. It will save you a lot of typing. :laugh Enjoy wrenching on your TL. :thumbup

Also look around on Steve's site. There is much to learn.
:devious

1 - 17 of 17 Posts