TLZone Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of changing rear tire/ bearings, sprocekts and chain.

While installing the new rear bearings in the wheel I inadvertently forgot to install the hollow cylindrical spacer that goes between the two bearings in the wheel. Is it safe to keep things this way and tighten the swingarm the way it is or do i need to sacrifice one of the bearings, punch it out and reinstall a new one with the spacer in between?

My first thought was that i need to put it in becuase the swingarm nut tightens everything onto those 2 wheel bearings and with nothing in between them they will be seeing a lot of thrust on the inner race.
I then remembered that the spacer had quite a bit of slack and was able to move around with the old bearings installed. I doubt that the inner races of the bearings will tighten down on the spacer when the axle nut is tightened.

So basically: Is the spacer just there to ease bearing removal or do teh bearings tighten down on it when the axle nut is tightened?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yes,
That spacer is in there for a reason! Yes, you do have to remove one of those bearings in order to get it in there. Don't run that wheel without that bearing spacer installed!

NO, You do not need to sacrifice one of the bearings by pounding the crap out of it to remove it!

:)

Pounding on bearings to remove them is unnecessary! About a week ago I did a write up on how to remove wheel bearings by heating them up first with a propane torch. You can buy a propane torch at a local hardware store or even deparment store for about $11.00. Tha is way cheaper than a new bearing & yes, that's the way many pros do it. I've done it personally on a dozen wheels or so. Do a quick search for that thread for details.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I put the spacer in and reseated the bearings... The spacer is now tight against the inner races where before there was room and it moved freely.

I think this is why my rear sprocket showed wear on the outside (left side). The bearings were not seated correctly and the sprocket was out too far (too close to the swingarm) causing the chain plates to rub on the side of the sprocket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.