TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a 97 tl1000s to fit me don't know what it's going to be called but it's a sit up straight pony legroom I am arm room superbike. to come to the point will the dl1000 tail section pulled up to the tl1000 frame and if so could you use the dl1000 seat on this? And is the dl1000 tail section steel so that I have capability of fabricating whatever needs to be to make it fit right in the seat to line up right? I would appreciate any help or input from anybody who has had experience with this.
Thank you!

·
Registered
231 Posts
wrong sort of bike to be doing that to. geometry all wrong.
yes the DL tail subframe is steel but I think major modifications would be in order to make it look anywhere near right on a TL.
Cheers
Tom R

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wrong sort of bike to be doing that to. geometry all wrong.
yes the DL tail subframe is steel but I think major modifications would be in order to make it look anywhere near right on a TL.
Cheers
Tom R
we're going to have some kind of straight regular seat on a because I have my 36 inch Husqvarna bars on it I'm down to adjust a double headlight and a small windscreen just to hide where I'm hiding the wiring in the cables and stuff for the few instruments I have foot pegs be moved down closer to where the kickstand pivot is. It's a purpose-built street bike knobby tires guards on the bottom skid plate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
think I'm going to purchase one trying to make it fit cuz I want to get rid of that big hump and all that plastic and stuff on the tail section the fact it's all already gone.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well I wish you luck and a long life but I'd be nervous riding that bike setup like that. Cruising for a bruising I think.

Cheers
Tom R

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I wish you luck and a long life but I'd be nervous riding that bike setup like that. Cruising for a bruising I think.

Cheers
Tom R
You're absolutely right. But there's a lot of tuning that I could do 2 take the edge off of the road race set-up. yeah the V-Strom 1000 basically has the same engine so if I can find a happy medium in between two with just a little more power and or should I say a lot more power Shelby county mini bike through own. Of course that's conjecture it may be a nightmare don't know yet will let you know when I'm finished. I think I'm going to go ahead and try to seat and tail section see if I can't get it to made up with the releases everything
I'm using just a plain acerbis plastic fender out the back with a double tail light.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It is the basic geometry inherent in the bike that would be my concern. With out major modification that is not something that can be just 'tuned' out. they require significant weight over the front end
The Tls is set up as a no compromises sports bike. The geometry will make for a very nervous tourer.
Owning both a Tl and a Vstrom it always surprise me how 2 engines that are to most appearances identical can have such very different natures. Especially if comparing a 97 Tl and a Dl after 2014. there is somewhat less difference in the gen 1 Dl motor but still more than enough to be very discernible. One could almost believe that they came from a different lineage.

Cheers
Tom R

1 - 7 of 7 Posts