TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I do it without taking off the rear wheel? I just want to lube all the joints & pivots & give 'em a bit of a clean ...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yeah,
I've done it that way a few times. It's just a little easier with the rear wheel assembly out of the way but not necessary to do the job. Just support the rear of the bike via a rod shoved through the swingarm pivot hole to allow the rear suspension to unload. Having a piece of wood to shove under the rear wheel to load up the suspension just a little bit will help you when you start to loosen up the shock linkage bolts & also to help line things up upon reassembly.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I don't understand why you don't want to remove the rear wheel. It's done in 2 minutes.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cos I dont want to have to mess with my chain :) but do I have to pull the chain off to clean it at 1000km?

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
Mr. DOBALINA said:
...Just support the rear of the bike via a rod shoved through the swingarm pivot hole to allow the rear suspension to unload....
...or a good use for your ABBA stand...

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
gloves

Or a T stand thru the subframe. Wear gloves, if the chain bothers you, having the wheel off will make it easier.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I really suggest to remove the rear wheel because the suspension bolts are usually quite hard to get out. I had to press mine out from inside.

Photos:

Spring and shock out:

Swingarm out as well. Bike was supported tempoarly by rear footpegs.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I just removed shock and spring on a stick last weekend....just removed the right rearset, both came out easily, though not sure if the stock damper might be more difficult. With rear wheel and hugger on, not a problem.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bx-459 said:
...or a good use for your ABBA stand...
Oh yes :yes

Also, I don't want to dick with the chain. It & the sprockets are brand new & I dont trust myself to do it all up again & set the sag on the chain correctly :laugh I'd rather not bugger it. But I guess to clean & lube it properly I have to take the chain off the bike anyway ...?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
You don't need to adjust the chain. Don't touch the chain adjusters and it will be the same!!!
Just loosen the axle bolt and remove axle and alu blocks, you're done.

I dunno, but me personally would judge removing the rear suspension more difficult than adjusting a chain. I'd ask a buddy to help you with the suspension.

Greetings
Rufer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts