TLZone Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
just wondering? would a rear shock off a 1999-2003 tlr if my 98 tlr? found one v cheap!

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
But is it the same age and miles as yours?? There may be little benefit in fitting it, unless you were going to service it first

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But is it the same age and miles as yours?? There may be little benefit in fitting it, unless you were going to service it first
no tis less mileage......probably wont buy it, just curious......rear is very stiff tho according to the static and rider sag guidelines its loose! need another stock tlr to sit on..compared to my mates triumph which is in my garage its rock solid! makes me think a previous owner put stiff springs on front and rear cos im in the middle of changing the fork oil and i cant push down the spacer cartrigde thingy to access the nut cos its so stiff!!! its doing my head in. is there any way i can tell if my springs arent stock?.................as you can guess im new to the world of suspension.
also according to my haynes manual it seems you cant service the rear shock!

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,508 Posts
Do you still have the rotary damper and sring-on-a-stick (SOAS) installed on your TL? If so, that is likely the problem. Sometimes when the damper fails, it will become very stiff, or even lock up. :banghead When I bought my TLR with 29K on the clock, the damper was garbage. Who knows when it actually failed. I couldn't believe the kid was still riding it in that condition. :eek It was scary.

If you intend to replace the rear suspension with another rotary damper, DON'T BUY ONE. There are many members who have them sitting on their shelves, and they would likely give it to you for the cost of shipping. :coocoo

Your fork springs may be OEM still. Even the OEM springs are not "easy" to compress by hand when servicing the forks. That's why they make spring compression tools. :devious

1 - 5 of 5 Posts