TLZone Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
It is 1/2 inch longer than the F3 - I've been looking for a bit of extra height and it is also 1/4 the price of the '96 I found. I know 12.7mm is a lot this close to the pivot, but I'd like to try it, and my engineer can make some mount adjustments if it is too high.

Why - is there something I have missed??

Since none of the photo's that are still hosted seem to match any of the shocks I have looked at I thought I'd suck-it-and-see with the cheapest shock of similar spec, now that I have an engineer interested in doing some work for me:O

Also from the pics of the '95 I cant see how the upper perch can be replaced to fit a longer spring - it is almost hard against the line for the remote res???

·
Registered
293 Posts
No. You didn't miss anything.
You musta got the MAL-G01

MAL-601 - Most popular for this job. 11" long - 46mm pistonOD - 49mm BodyOD - 95-96 Honda CBR600 F3
MAL-621 - Similar to the 601 - 11" long - 46mm pistonOD - 49mm BodyOD
MAL-G01 - 11.5" long - 43mm OD - 40mm BodyOD - less damping range adjustment

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
MBW E11 - I thought it was a '00, but it is actually off an '02 F4 Sport - supposed to have better damping range:O. I couldn't refuse it at $19

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
E-mailed my suspension guy today and this is what I got back:

what I suggest we do is to use the same Ohlins piston and valving as used in their TL1000R shock and that will give you a very solid baseline setting. The positive thing is these pistons are not expensive, allow around $160 incl with all of the shims.
Sounds promising.

Only issue is he quoted $200 for the spring, which makes this "cheap" option rather expensive...$19 for the shock:laugh, $160 for revalve, $200 for spring, and $?? for the perch. It is still cheaper than the cheapest aftermarket unit though. And with the Ohlins internals should be better than a Bitubo:O.

·
Registered
145 Posts
have we found a new equivalent shock to replace the mal-301 cbr shock? i have the UK conversion kit so i wouldnt have to cut my frame.

is it easier/better to just replace the spring? i am 220 nowadays ....

61 - 67 of 67 Posts