TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fitted a RSV1000 swing arm to my frame and now my ideas is to mount the rear shock in an old TZ style.
I have calculated the the full stroke of the shock to give 125mm wheel movment.
Any thought on this before i continue:)?
20180218_152446.jpg

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
interesting concept. any ideas on sourcing the matching TZengine?
your proposal will require the use of a tl engine minus the rear cylinder

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi,
Most things are possible if you have the time a patience to overcome them, but then again not all things work out......as much as you try.
Good luck. TL1000S BBO SUSPENSION PLATES LW-page-001.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree totally.
I can see both good and bad things with this setup, the thing is I started this build from scratch so only had a sized TL1000 engine, so looking for good alternatives to the OEM setup that is known for its problems.
Also try to get use for a lot of parts that I already had here when I started my build.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bike finally on wheel have no clue how it will be to ride, ice on the street so guess i will have to wait a few months to find out.
from bumping up and down on it and taken some sag measurement it feels and good. View attachment 57898

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looking good now.

Did you machine the swing arm or just cut it off and weld the pivot tube to the TL one? What clearance do you have on the left side between the frame and swing arm, it is tight very tight?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx
No i cut the frame to fit the swingarm, best way to do it if you not consider to keep the frame standard.
In my case i started with a frame with papers bought on Ebay and a tl engine that had eaten its own main rod bearings, after that it got alittle crazy.
Bought an full akrapovic system from a guy who refused to sell the system only, so i considred the bike as a consol to the system and justified my purchase of one more TL.
Side tracked sorry, space on the left side is about 5-7mm between the swing arm and the casted ears to fit the foot rest (tightest place).
If this setup will work? on paper yes but i will not say yes until i put some miles on it, spring rate feels ok 35mm drop with me on and about a few to 5mm static sag unloaded.
Shock is a Nitron R3 for ZXR1000 2012year bike spring rate i cant see previous owner been polishing the spring to many times:)
Forgot to say when i drove home my new consol for the akra system then i was sure that this setup cant be worse, i have never tested a new tl1000s so cant say if it was disaster from begining but my new consol had about 30 to 40mm static sag unloaded and if there was any oil in the rotary damper at all it didnt do anything to help the ride:)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Thanx
No i cut the frame to fit the swingarm, best way to do it if you not consider to keep the frame standard.
In my case i started with a frame with papers bought on Ebay and a tl engine that had eaten its own main rod bearings, after that it got alittle crazy.
Bought an full akrapovic system from a guy who refused to sell the system only, so i considred the bike as a consol to the system and justified my purchase of one more TL.
Side tracked sorry, space on the left side is about 5-7mm between the swing arm and the casted ears to fit the foot rest (tightest place).
If this setup will work? on paper yes but i will not say yes until i put some miles on it, spring rate feels ok 35mm drop with me on and about a few to 5mm static sag unloaded.
Shock is a Nitron R3 for ZXR1000 2012year bike spring rate i cant see previous owner been polishing the spring to many times:)
Forgot to say when i drove home my new consol for the akra system then i was sure that this setup cant be worse, i have never tested a new tl1000s so cant say if it was disaster from begining but my new consol had about 30 to 40mm static sag unloaded and if there was any oil in the rotary damper at all it didnt do anything to help the ride:)
That rear end is soooooooooooooo sexy....

In the words of Garth ....

"we're not worthy"

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
That rear end is soooooooooooooo sexy....
Some folks think morbidly obese women in bikinis are sexy too. Just saying... :uhoh

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
IMG_0579.JPG

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi Josh......thanks for that!

Anyhow back to the subject in hand.....many ways to do this build. This is taking its time, had a few other things that needed doing first. But I am back on it, guess I just needed a push. TLS Frame Mod 1.jpg TLS Frame Mod 2.jpg RSV swing arm machining.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Josh......thanks for that!

Anyhow back to the subject in hand.....many ways to do this build. This is taking its time, had a few other things that needed doing first. But I am back on it, guess I just needed a push. View attachment 57906 View attachment 57908 View attachment 57910

Thats also a way to remove the ear for the linkage, i will do the getto style version and pull the wheel of and then in with the grinder:)
If you going for similar setup as mine then you can have the file for the upper shock plates.
Also a question, what year is your swing arm from, its marked on the casted pivot.
Why im asking is that early swing armes of the GEN2 RSV 1000 had 2 rivets on the inside of the left arm to hold the little sprocket fin.
Its very comon to find a crack started from the bottom rivet, on the updated version this rivet is removed.
A comon fix if you have the old version is to drill out the rivet and close the hole with the tig and 5356 rod.

BR
Peter,

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah sorry its a 2004 swing arm read this among many posts regarding this issue.
https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?326279-Bad-swingarm-question-trying-to-understand&highlight=crack+in+swing+arm
I had this issue on another build i didnt fix it from beginning but monitored it during every wash and after aprox one year it started to crack so i drilled out the rivet and tig welded the hole, no i had issue after.
i believe it was a recal on the 2004 swing arm and i guess Aprilia didnt want to have the old ones back from dealers so was supposed to be destroyed but have found there way out the back door since there is so many on Ebay from 2004.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks Ill weld it up, I may weld up the others as well while I am at it. Don't think ill use a chain guard that's standard.
Thanks for the offer on the top mounts, I was lucky enough to find a Harris WP F1 shock. This has been the nemesis of the build but I want to use it. If you have the DXF to send I can compare it to what I have to double check the head clearance. Looks like our mounting positions are very similar.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Youll find the bike will work better with a heavier spring and less preload.

Ideally the ball park figures are
5-10mm static sag
25-30 rider sag
Between 6-15mm spring preload.

The fact your seeing 5mm static and 35mm rider suggests the spring rate could go up to a heavier rate.

No idea what spring your running currently but i seem to recall stock zx12 having around 85nm, a 95 or 100nm spring would be a better match. Ducati monster 749/1100 have a very similar suspension path to what you have done, and they run that 90-100nm ballpark spring rate.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Youll find the bike will work better with a heavier spring and less preload.

Ideally the ball park figures are
5-10mm static sag
25-30 rider sag
Between 6-15mm spring preload.

The fact your seeing 5mm static and 35mm rider suggests the spring rate could go up to a heavier rate.

No idea what spring your running currently but i seem to recall stock zx12 having around 85nm, a 95 or 100nm spring would be a better match. Ducati monster 749/1100 have a very similar suspension path to what you have done, and they run that 90-100nm ballpark spring rate.
Yes i been thinkin the same, i have an ohlins spring here rated 95Nm will try that one today, i manage to see the rating on the Nitron spring it converts to 73,44nm .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts