TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the rear exhaust gasket on my 2000 TL1000R. Can anyone tell me how much of the exhaust I have to remove? Do I need to remove header from front cylinder?

Thanks For any help.

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
when I did mine I loosened the bolts for the front header, removed the bolts holding the exhaust to the lower frame and the bolts holding the cans to the subframe and let the exhaust drop off the rear header. Fitted the gasket and reversed the process, took less than 5 mins to do :thumbup

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Did you have a tough time getting the front header bolts out?
F*%K yeah... Penetrating fluid, wait, heat, fluid, etc. Then HOPEFULLY they come out...

You need to be careful. I was lucky and got both mine out. You have about a 50% chance of snapping them. In which case hopefully there is a bit of meat to hold a nut on. Weld it on, crack it loose...

THEN AFTER,

Replace with stainless threaded rod and brass nuts... Don't even bother taking off the rears, just leave the stub on.

·
Registered
763 Posts
No you don't have to remove the front header bolts. You can change it without taking the front header bolts from the engine. First remove the lower belly pan, then the two allen head bolts that bolt both exhaust pipes together which are located under the engine, use a wrench to hold the welded nut retainer because they will twist if the bolt are hard to get out, then removing the exhaust hanger bolt on the right and left side on the lower frame, then loosen the rear exhaust clamp them remove the rear exhaust hanger from the passenger foot peg. Then slide the exhaust down. Install the gasket then reverse the order to reassemble. You can replace the exhaust gasket at the mid pipe if it is damage or reuse it again.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I'd suggest sticking in a new gasket. Those sealing rings are pretty much single use only. They don't take well to re-use. You might get away with it but for the sake of a couple of bucks its worth using new ones.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys. I am going to order the other gasket and tackle it next week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, Gasket came in mail on Friday and it was damaged. Looked like someone put a staple thru the package at the post office and the stapler damaged the gasket! Waiting on a refund or new gasket now.

·
Registered
763 Posts
That gasket can be still used, try using high heat exhaust gasket silicone or hhigh heat RTV silicone I have use gasket that have been bent and missing lots more and it seal without leaking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just paid $12 for a part that is damaged and I think I will wait for a new one. The bike will be all put back together and not run until spring. Don't want to find out during riding season that it needs to come apart again. Will keep you posted on my progress. Thanks for all the help and advise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got my new gasket and dropped the muffler and pipe. Rear exhaust gasket was almost completely gone. There was only about 15% of the gasket left on one side. Will put pipes back on in a few days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts