TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone please give some advice? I have a 1999 TL1000R and recently the rear cylinder plug keeps dying after about two days of riding. The spark is still there but the plug is dead. Anyone have an idea what might cause this?

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Is the plug tip visually different from the front cylinder?

This could be due to a mediocre system voltage. This is a 20 year old wire loom, so terminals lose their tension or become corroded, resulting in poor connections.
Does this TLR have the "plus mod" installed or the "charge mod?"

Also, could be the ignition coil is beginning to fail, or a poor connection on the HT wire - between the wire and plug cap or the wire and coil output electrode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the plug tip visually different from the front cylinder?

This could be due to a mediocre system voltage. This is a 20 year old wire loom, so terminals lose their tension or become corroded, resulting in poor connections.
Does this TLR have the "plus mod" installed or the "charge mod?"

Also, could be the ignition coil is beginning to fail, or a poor connection on the HT wire - between the wire and plug cap or the wire and coil output electrode.
Thanks for the reply.

I've replaced both cylinder plugs twice now with the same plugs each time. I'm afraid I don't know if it has "plus mod" or "charge mod", I'll have to find that out. But you think its an electric problem then? This seems like one of those problems where I'm gonna have to go through each possible fault systematically and there seem to be a lot of those. The bike is quite old yes, so replacing coils and connectors wouldn't be a waste anyway.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Yes, a systematic approach is the way to go.
Try trimming the HT leads first, before replacing them. The spark plug wire actually unscrews from the coil and from the plug cap. Then it can be trimmed about 1/4" to access fresh copper wire. Then reattach it to the coil and cap.

While you are in there, make sure the spade terminals fit snugly onto the coil terminals.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
If you decide to replace the coils: Get the sv1000 ones from the same generation. They are more powerful but the bolt holes do not directly line up. They are sightly wider, but one should be more than sufficient to hold it to the frame.

Listen to six5...

Clip the ht leads. You likely do not have either the plus or charge mod as they are not "standard". But they are both very helpful. They won't solve any problems, but they will alleviate some in the future.

Get it running right, then do modifications.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You have an R, so your coils mount to the bracket on the engine, but everything else still applies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts