TLZone Forums banner

Rear break lights and running lights and turn signal s

2K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  rxf610 
#1 ·
Ok I have a 2001 tl1000r and the dummy that had it before me tried to intragate blinkers into factory light well he cut all wires connectors off so I don't know what color wire does what I have a trailer plug thing but mine has a brown wire red wire yellow and green on one side and then just red yellow and brown I believe on other side I also don't know how to wire this in either any help would be good

#3 ·
First thing to do, is go here and get yourself a manual. Steve's TL1000S pages - Workshop - Service Manual / Tuning Video Then, there is this, New TL1000R owner Columbus Ohio . There's a full color wiring diagram in this thread. That should get you what you need.
That's great and all but like the plugs are cut off and I have only found one wire that will light up the tail light and it's color is black with white stripe theres two wires the black with white stripe and brown now they go threw a conecter and the wire color changes on brown wire it goes to gray

#15 ·
Do I understand this right in that the goal here is to make the tail light do 3 jobs ie running light, brakes and indicators? If yes how was the 3rd function added to the tail light? Is the intention to have the brake light flash in the way older US cars used to do? There are threads for doing similar things on the gixxer forums including some for the old SRADs. Some include diagrams and parts lists so maybe worth a trawl over there.

Just my 2cents worth (and I may get change... ;) ) I'd have said that on the TL this is a triumph of aesthetics over functionality. Might look good losing the stock indicators but only at the cost of greatly reducing the visibility of the turn signal. There are too many cars these days with indicator lights buried in a sea of blindingly bright red LED tail light clusters. In some cases the indicator function is so indistinct it is virtually invisible. Better to have a clear separation so it is easy for following drivers to decipher the various signals. If the guy is spending his/her mental energy on working out if you are signalling a turn and then mentally cursing you for having such lousy lights, he/she is not working out when the brakes should be applied to avoid running you over. Flush fit indicators on the sides of the tailpiece might be a be an alternative but each to their own.

#17 ·
Yea did u see picture I posted I ne
Do I understand this right in that the goal here is to make the tail light do 3 jobs ie running light, brakes and indicators? If yes how was the 3rd function added to the tail light? Is the intention to have the brake light flash in the way older US cars used to do? There are threads for doing similar things on the gixxer forums including some for the old SRADs. Some include diagrams and parts lists so maybe worth a trawl over there.

Just my 2cents worth (and I may get change... ;) ) I'd have said that on the TL this is a triumph of aesthetics over functionality. Might look good losing the stock indicators but only at the cost of greatly reducing the visibility of the turn signal. There are too many cars these days with indicator lights buried in a sea of blindingly bright red LED tail light clusters. In some cases the indicator function is so indistinct it is virtually invisible. Better to have a clear separation so it is easy for following drivers to decipher the various signals. If the guy is spending his/her mental energy on working out if you are signalling a turn and then mentally cursing you for having such lousy lights, he/she is not working out when the brakes should be applied to avoid running you over. Flush fit indicators on the sides of the tailpiece might be a be an alternative but each to their own.
Yea I have to work with what I have right now beings Im broke and I'm just trying to get blinkers and break lights and running lights cause right now I'm riding with brake light on all the time and no blinkers I use hand signals

#21 ·
Here are the original OEM designations and color code assignments, and they should agree with the color wiring diagram I referred to earlier.

Solid Brown - power for tail light and license plate light (and any other running lights); 12v at key on.
Solid Black - power for left turn signal; from the turn signal switch.
Black with white tracer - this is chassis ground for the entire electrical system. Should always be at zero volts with respect to a hard chassis ground - like an engine mounting bolt.
White with black tracer - power for brake light; from the brake light switch.
Light Green - power for right turn signal; from the turn signal switch.

Now it's just a matter of testing your particular bike to find which wires are connected to which filaments in the bulbs. Then you can make the appropriate connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.