TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Really sorry about asking this, I know it's a subject that's been done to death!

So after several years in a bike shop being stored, I'm getting the bike back on the road (because for various reasons I can't afford a new bike right now). During its storage, the odd bit has been borrowed off it, normally with my approval as parts were occasionally used for a race bike that I was a pilot of.

So, went to start it up and got a c41 (and no fuel pump noises). Checked the relay at the back right of the bike and one is for the sidestand, the other for the fuel pump - but I only had one relay. So I took it from the sidestand and put it in the fuel pump.

Started again and this time, no c41 but a 'chec' instead (no fuel pump noises). So I checked:

clutch sensor - OK
pulled the kill switch assembly (with cont. meter, checked and worked fine)
checked all fuses in the front fusebox and starter fuses (under seat/fuel pump hinge) - OK
not in gear (spun the wheel, all good)

At the moment, I'm just randomly checking and testing things at random, but if anyone has advice I'd be very grateful. I'm next going to check the tipover switch, because it was on it's side the last time it was running.

Oh (this will sound stupid), if there's no sidestand relay, does it matter? I just can't remember if I unplugged it or not - although there is a cable tie across the sensor above the side stand.

:cheers and sorry to ask...after 2 years of recovering from a pretty bad crash, I just wanna ride again now that I'm (near enough) physically fit! :banghead

Here's a thread I checked against: http://www.tlzone.net/forums/suzuki-tl1000r-tl1000s-forum/90114-no-start-chec-dash.html

·
Registered
301 Posts
The sidestand switch should be be shorted out if there isnt one attached (basically just join the two wires together to complete the circuit to make the bike think the sidestand is up, I might be being a bit dim here but is the kill switch on? and is it functioning?I'm sure with the kill switch in the off position you'll get the chec display!

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers matey, I'll check the wires :thumbup

pulled the kill switch assembly (with cont. meter, checked and worked fine)
Works fine mate, and displays chec in both positions, but the internals of the switch are working fine.

:cheers

·
Registered
301 Posts
Cheers matey, I'll check the wires :thumbup

Works fine mate, and displays chec in both positions, but the internals of the switch are working fine.

Doh:banghead teach me not read things properly in the first place! I've had embarassing issues myself with the kill switch when I knocked it with my thumb and spent 10 mins at the side of the road wondering why my bike wouldnt work:blush

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't worry matey, we all scan read from time to time! :thumbup My girlfriend rides a bike and has suffered from the same thing at junctions! :laugh

I've been wiggling wires all over and still nothing :(

WD40'd as many cable connectors as I can find...I could go so deep (that's what she said) trying to resolve this problem! :bawling

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update: I've tested the relay and that works fine

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update: checked the resistance of the Tip Over switch, that's working alright.

Still no fuel pump noise :-( Guess i should check the fuel pump next, but that makes sense as it has it's own error code and would have flagged up.

Also, all the time I get "CHEC", there's no chance of getting an error code :( I can induce a code by removing the fuel pump relay and sticking it on the side-stand bit (an audible 'click' is heard from it when ignition on). I did this in case it cycled through any other error codes, but nothing came up.

:rant

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still no joy, off to the bike shop for advice :(

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers stu, no I haven't got a neutral light, but....

...went to the bike shop and he had a spare relay. Fitted and and Voila!...it started for about 10seconds before cutting out, back to CHEC I am! :rant

Tested both relays and both were fine. Checked the kill switch again and was still ok.

:banghead I don't believe this :(

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Use the wiring diagram. CHEC is the kill switch, side stand relay, side stand & neutral switch.

It means the dash can't communicate with the ECU, most common cause is no power to the ECU via the side stand relay circuit.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's always an honour to get a response from you Steve :)

Thanks for the wiring diagram, I've got the manual and looked at it many times and it's hurting my head! :laugh

I think I just have to check the wires for continuity :banghead

It's just unfair that originally 'CHEC' was shown because of the missing relay. I replaced it and the fuel pump started and thumbing the starter got the engine turning. Then it stops, having touched nothing, almost like a fuse had gone, but I've checked them all - unless there's one hiding somewhere. I'll have a look...and stop bothering you all with my whinging!

:thumbup

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An update, GOOD NEWS! A friend came round and I was going over the basics with him, fuses and what-not. So I was checking the main fusebox, but I accidentally left the ignition on. As I checked the Ignition fuse with a test meter, there was a click. We did it again and it happened again. I pulled the fuse out and it was dead - spare one put in there and the engine started turning again! :banana

After a good few seconds turning, she fired up - first time in 4 years! :banana Took her for a test ride of 3 miles and it was working perfectly well! Just need to go over it for a while longer and she'll be ready to ride once more! :banana because I haven't ridden for so long (20months+), I'm going to take the precaution of hiring a 500cc bike for the day (or two), to get the feel of being on two wheels.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
result dude:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
its odd cuz this is what my bike is doin also and i cant seem to find the dam problem at all .i did all the things u did and i still get no pump noise
but i no the pump works cuz when we jump it the pump turns on....

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It certainly is jag :thumbup

Greg, I've commented on your post - hopefully it's helpful!

By the way, you might want to put future questions in the 'help' area of the site :)

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Good news Chris, TT here we come, if i can bleed my front brakes.:banghead

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good news Chris, TT here we come, if i can bleed my front brakes.:banghead
Yes it is matey :thumbup I'm sure bleeding some brakes will be easy peasy for you! ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
After a good few seconds turning, she fired up - first time in 4 years! :banana Took her for a test ride of 3 miles and it was working perfectly well! Just need to go over it for a while longer and she'll be ready to ride once more! :banana because I haven't ridden for so long (20months+), I'm going to take the precaution of hiring a 500cc bike for the day (or two), to get the feel of being on two wheels.

Just pull one of the plug leads off the TL, bingo one 500cc (ish) bike! Glad ya fixed it dude :thumbup

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just pull one of the plug leads off the TL, bingo one 500cc (ish) bike! Glad ya fixed it dude :thumbup
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Funny funker! :thumbup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts