TLZone Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hear about some things being done to GSXR's in order to help cool certain areas of the engine differently than the stock setup? A member here has come up with an idea of re-routing the cooling system pipes so that certain parts of the GSXR engine get freshly cooled fluid/coolant flowing past them in an effort to be able to run higher compression pistons more effectively. Just re-routing stock plumbing so other engine parts get cooled first. Interesting concept, anyone heard of this?

That page of the member's website doesn't have a unique URL to link you to it. So here is the main link: http://www.mptracing.com/main.html
Then click on the icon "Store" on the left side margin of the homepage, then click on "Reverse Flow Kit" to see product details.

Just something interesting I found a few months ago & haven't heard many gearheads talk about this stuff at all when talking hot rodding motorcycle engines. Figured I'd give you something to look at & ponder.

Hmmmmm....

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sounds like a load of crock.
It has probably worked for sum poorly designed engine in the past
And myth + lets make a quick buck has developed the product

You would be better of installing an electric water pump

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
:dunno Why wouldn't they do it from the factory in reverse?

Maybe it has merit in racing where you're WOT a lot and making maximum power a lot of the time, but for the street there's probably issues with temperature regulation via the thermostat - even if it is reading the coolant coming out of the block, it might not represent the temperature of the coolant in the head as accurately as measuring it as soon as it leaves the head and regulate it according to that value.

Look at these funky specs for my 03

Ignition timing:

8degrees BTDC @ 1150rpm #1 & 4
4degrees BTDC @ 1150rpm #2 & 3

I'd say Suzuki has carefully considered temperatures and flow in their mapping :dunno

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
But if you cooled 2 and 3 more you could run 8 deg on all four then make a smidge more power right?

I doubt there's much to be gained on the TL as at least in my experence its cooling system is way over built and will cool the motor down to whatever the T-stat is set at. Pre-ignition doesn't seem much of a problem either as we have members running over 14:1 on pump gas without issues, but it is something to think about.

As for why they wouldn't do it from the factory, could be due to emissions issues - I suspect that the ideal tempatures for minimizing emissions are different than those for maximizing power.....

have fun

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Why wouldn't they do it from the factory in reverse?

Why would they put rotary dampers on a bike? :laugh hey I'd believe anything of engineers ...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
some where I have seen a pic of an RC 51 cylinder barrel with a fitting welded into it to change the water flow, its either Dan Kyle racing or Durbahn in Germany, the drag race guys have played with different cooling routing for years. There probably is something there just havent looked into it.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
doing this much work on a gsxr?

sheesh, just get a 1k, plenty of power...:confused

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Never heard of it on a bike...but it's a mod made popular by the late Smokey Yunick for V8's...basically there are many cooling systems out there that put the coolant into the cylinder jacket first and then through the heads/combustion chambers. Reverse flow cooling puts the coolant into the heads first so that hot spots like the exhaust valve area of the combustion chamber get the coolest coolant first which fights pre-ignition and detonation...

·
Registered
35 Posts
there are a few guys running Grant's stuff here with the AFM and if I'm not mistaken that reverse flow kit is mainly for bikes that are running more compression and therefore pumping more heat into the head. I can't see it being worth much on a stock bike, but on a cheater motor...

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
I found that site about a year ago. It was a big deal when GM did it to the LT-1. It sounds good in principle, but bigger rads and a lower stat would help too.

G

·
Damn, Has Steve sold his TL!

well lot of factory tuning kits include bigger radiators and also aluminium tubing instead of the stock rubber ones. All this to make it cooler and keep it cool. Some engines go down on power if they get too hot. so you need to get the power and also maintain it during hard usage. so it may not help in dyno, but it helps in real world.

·
Registered
51 Posts
in Germany the first TLS were delivered with 120°F / 50°C Therostat to run the Engine at lower Temperature --> higher Power output...

This Mod ist only usefull on Racebikes, because the lower temperatures leads to fuel condensation on the cylinder walls --> Oil thinning....conrod bearing damage...

Greetz from germany

Peter

G

·
checked the 954 and it also gets the water to the middle of the cylinder block, and it comes out of the cylinder head.

I think one reason could be that cylinder heads can crack if they get too cold water. but if the water is already 80-100celcius, it's not that cold.

actually this mod could prevent fuel condensation to the cylinder walls as the wall temperature is increased

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Hmmm, very interesting. Got the ol brain cells tickled for sure. I'd think emission control in Cali would be the biggest driving force for having cleanest output. Instead of having the best power output. As we know... those Suzuki Engineers are Always correct. :dowhat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts