TLZone Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,610 Posts
Did you have the valve covers removed during the spark plug service? If yes, is it possible the gasket around the spark plug hole in the valve cover fell off?

Does it sound like valve noise, or piston rattle?

Also, it wouldn't be the first time a rod bearing has failed suddenly, but that is usually described as a "knock" not a rattle.

Can you post a video of the noise?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you have the valve covers removed during the spark plug service? If yes, is it possible the gasket around the spark plug hole in the valve cover fell off?

Does it sound like valve noise, or piston rattle?

Also, it wouldn't be the first time a rod bearing has failed suddenly, but that is usually described as a "knock" not a rattle.

Can you post a video of the noise?
I didnt remove the valve cover to do plugs.
It sounds more valve or timing chain related, I`d assume if it were a rod knock it would be all the time and the the noise increase with rpm so maybe piston slap??? Im just spit balling here

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
.....? Im just spit balling here
Same here Dave. I don't have much experience 'inside' the engine.

Just trying to think of things I would look at....

Very strange that you only noticed it after changing plugs. Still, if it sounds like valve related, it couldn't hurt to remove the valve cover to see if anything looks out of place. Poke around to see if something is loose...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same here Dave. I don't have much experience 'inside' the engine.

Just trying to think of things I would look at....

Very strange that you only noticed it after changing plugs. Still, if it sounds like valve related, it couldn't hurt to remove the valve cover to see if anything looks out of place. Poke around to see if something is loose...

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I’ve been trying to figure out how to post a video any clues lol
In the rare event that I post a video, I usually just post it to YouTube, and then put the YouTube link here in the thread.

Another question:
With this rattling noise going on, have you verified that it's actually running on both cylinders? Do both exhaust headers get warm?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts