TLZone Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TL1000R, and she sounds a little poorly.
I have started getting a rattling sound when i first start it. It sounds like it could be the exhaust but i cant be sure. Has anyone ever had a similar issue, or does anyone know what this might be?

It stops when the bike starts to warm up (roughly around 30 degrees celcius)

I am a mechanical Novice to say the least the strech of my knowledge is changing brake pads, bulbs, chain n sprockets.

Help please :banghead

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Dude when was your last oil change, is it only when its cold or does it come back when the bike is hot. Is there a rattle when you put the bike under load. Does it change at all when you go through the gears or is it just when its idling and is it a rattle or more of a knocking noise mate. Sorry for all the questions

Welcome by the way, if no luck get it to sparkymarky whose right near you in walsal. He's a genius on these bikes
:thumbup

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Dude when was your last oil change, is it only when its cold or does it come back when the bike is hot. Is there a rattle when you put the bike under load. Does it change at all when you go through the gears or is it just when its idling and is it a rattle or more of a knocking noise mate. Sorry for all the questions

Welcome by the way, if no luck get it to sparkymarky whose right near you in walsal. He's a genius on these bikes
:thumbup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Hooti, thanks for you time really appreciate this.

Dude when was your last oil change Last oil Change was about June and it has done about 1300 miles since
is it only when its cold or does it come back when the bike is hot. Only When it is cold up until about 30c
Is there a rattle when you put the bike under load. By under load do you mean flooring it? If so then no
Does it change at all when you go through the gears or is it just when its idling and is it a rattle or more of a knocking noise mate. As i said before it is only when it is cold and i always warm up to minimum of 50 degrees c before riding
Sorry for all the questions As for all the questions no problem at all if you have any more ask away. Your helping me remember :D

Thanks again for your time dude

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
It sounds like its an oil issue but unsure without listening myself, but as you've said it had a service not long ago.

Have you checked the rear exhaust header / stub gasket at all. These blow and create a ticking sound when cold but then dissapear when warm as the gasket expands and seals with the heat. Have a look there first dude :thumbup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could well be one of them is blowing slightly which i am a bit miffed about considering i had all three gaskets done when i had the service!! Thanks again for all your help

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
It will be the rear cylinder, the header pipe that connects to the mid pipe next to the rear shock. If you replace it make sure you torque it up correctly or it will crush and blow :thumbup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok i have now had a quick look and have noticed there is a slight oil leak somewhere under the tank haven't had chance to check yet, but will do at about 12 today when im on lunch break.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Have a look for any blocked breather pipes mate and check the cam covers :thumbup

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,419 Posts
Have a look for any blocked breather pipes mate and check the cam covers :thumbup
....and the one that connects to the bottom of the airbox, that always gets missed.

If thats on then the oil leak could be partially evaporated fuel from a leaking fuel pump or corroded tank.

As for the noise it could be as simple as worn scissor gears.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
:stupid

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
....and the one that connects to the bottom of the airbox, that always gets missed.

If thats on then the oil leak could be partially evaporated fuel from a leaking fuel pump or corroded tank.

As for the noise it could be as simple as worn scissor gears.
Airbox pipe was disconnected. Should i be worried that there was oil leaking from there?

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
I wouldn't be worried bout that dude if your still worried get it to sparkies and he will be able to help u out no probs :thumbup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
!!Spanner alert!! Upon closer inspection it would appear as though one of the exhaust bolts was loose........ Really loose, as in that loose about 2 complete turns anti clock wise and it was off. Felt like a right plank but its all tightened up and she is well happy again. Just wanna get the mapping done on it now :D.

Thanks to everyone for your help. No doubt you will see my name on here time and time again :D

Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Good to hear u got it sorted dude :thumbup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts