TLZone Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back froma ride out and my TLS is rattling at 5000rpm in gear, once accelerated past 5000rpm rattle dissapears, the rattle sounds just like a ducati clutch rattle, does anybody know if this is normal or do i have serious problems? does not rattle when stationary and revving, any help sseriously appreciated

·
Registered
170 Posts
My S was just doing the same thing exactly how you described and it ended up getting worse just all of a sudden and eventually locked up. Ended up being a rod bearing and also wasted the crank. So yea it could be serious, do you ride wheelies?

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Get someone who can recognize a bad rod big end bearing to give it a listen. Rod bearing noise typically somes and goes with RMP & load until the bearing is completely destroyed. Best to catch it early and tear it down while you might save the crank. '97 engine only fed oil to the crank from one end too, and had the old smaller oil pump. If you rebuild it, put in the new larger oil pump.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no i dont do wheelies, not intentional ones anyway, now im shitting myself, knowing my luck it will be bad and exspensive

when did the tls start using the larger oil pump 98 onwards??

will get the bike checked over 2moro by local garage and see what they have to say

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine was doing similar turned out to be loose bodywork :O
I thought it was my body work also, thought it was my fairing stay rattling against my steering dampner also, but was neither. I even put my bike on my stands, ran it through the gears and didn't hear anything. I even tried holding the brake to give it some torque on the motor and still nothing but low and behold it was the big end rod bearing. If that is what it is you can take it apart now and change the bearings and rod without splitting the cases.:banghead wish thats what I would have done! :rant

1 - 6 of 6 Posts