TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Nothing to see here...move along
2,463 Posts
Actually....I do :)

Chino airport is nearby, this weekend 2 P-40's, A-26, B-26, C-3, several P-51's and a P-38 (out of Santa Maria airport). Our "Planes of Fame" airshow was last weekend...but there's a lot of old warbirds parked full time at the airport (CAF squadron).

Nice planes...when I was younger my uncle had a P-51. He bought it in the early 70's...sold it in 93 when he lost his license.

·
2,463 Posts
I don't know. I saw 3 at the Reno Air races a few years ago. There are 2 P-51's and a P-38 (all flying) at the Santa Maria (Ca.) air museum. I do know that last summer I saw the only flying B-29 left...it flew over on it's way to another air show...amazing!

My girlfriend laughs...every weekend, if we're outside she hears me rattle off what planes are going overhead without looking up...comes from years of living on Air Force bases...and warbird crazed dad and uncle. When I was little we manned a turn every year for the Mojave air races (unfortunately Reno is the last left out here)

I love the sound of a Merlin engine at high revs flying low!...also liked hearing the Corsairs as the rounded the turn...they would whistle.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Looks awsome, I love planes, esp WWII birds :drool

·
2,463 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I was a kid, my grandfather used to fly me over the movie set where they filmed 'The Blacksheep Squadon'. That was a big event for me.
I know what you mean about identifying planes by sound. I grew up by Mather AFB in Sacramento and I would ride my bike to the runway to watch the planes.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Nothing sounds better than a big radial imho:drool

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Not a fan of tricycle gear, but that's a cool plane, what the heck is it? Looks sorta like a stubby bearcat:O

BTW I think I'll build one of these when/if I'm sufficiently wealthy, would be the ideal weekend fun plane I think

And one of these for longer trips or if I'm not quite wealthy enough for the pitts

1 - 20 of 80 Posts