TLZone Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i have a 2000 raptor that has started blowing the injection fuse at random times. the fuse will blow i roll to a stop it may blow again when replaced but with in a couple of minutes it can be replaced and restarts.
I cant think of any common link to what i was doing when it went but it wasnt under hard load but i way have been changing gears.
the word 'check' comes up on the dash but there are no codes when in dealer mode.
the only other issue is that every now and then it will have a hickup at speed which is not fun but has not been a serious issue.
I have bypassed the side stand switch but the issue happens the first time before i did this. i also replaced the fuel pump after it happened the first time i did not fully rewire the pump just replaced the leads it came with

any ideas on what is on this circuit i could look at

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I'm not sure how the Raptor wire loom compares to the TL, but I am assuming it is similar. Your "injection fuse" is likely the same circuit that is labeled as the "ignition" fuse in the TL (the Orange/Wht wire is the primary distribution conductor). To begin with, do you have any extra loads or accessories tied into that circuit? If the load is approaching the 10 amp limit of the circuit fuse, that may explain the intermittent nature of the failure.

Otherwise, try one of Stu's tricks. If I'm relating properly....
Replace the suspect fuse with a small 12V light bulb (fashion the connections with spade lugs and jumper wires),
Key ON. The bulb will glow.
Then, manually move the loom wires around while watching for the brightness of the bulb to increase.
When you find a 'sensitive' area, have a closer look and you will likely find a wire that has chaffed through the insulation and is shorting to the chassis.

Let us know what you find please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure how the Raptor wire loom compares to the TL, but I am assuming it is similar. Your "injection fuse" is likely the same circuit that is labeled as the "ignition" fuse in the TL (the Orange/Wht wire is the primary distribution conductor). To begin with, do you have any extra loads or accessories tied into that circuit? If the load is approaching the 10 amp limit of the circuit fuse, that may explain the intermittent nature of the failure.

Replace the suspect fuse with a small 12V light bulb (fashion the connections with spade lugs and jumper wires),
Then, manually move the loom wires around while watching for the brightness of the bulb to increase.
When you find a 'sensitive' area, have a closer look and you will likely find a wire that has chaffed through the insulation and is shorting to the chassis.

Let us know what you find please.

Let us know what you to find please.

so i may have found the culprit , i tried the replace the fuse with alight bulb trick one of the benefits of this besides the light was that there was just enough current to make one of the relays buzz a bit. while moving different wiring the tone of the buzz changed so i could move along the wiring loom and isolate a section and move the section in front of where i was holding until ii found an area which seemed to be associated the noise, i split the harness and then isolated each wire each wire the same way until i ended up at the coils where i found one wire which was worn and earthing intermittently. I have taped it pending replacing the terminals, of course you need to have the hands of a dwarf chimpanzee to access the terminals but eventual refitted and bike running. of course the joys of an intermittent fault means i will need to wait and see but here hoping. Thanks for the tip mate fingers crossed all good.

regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts