TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is that ****ing silver paint that coats many of the standard parts made of?

parts like, swingarm, brake bar to name two.

iv got kick ass paint stripper and it doesnt even penetrate it!! even 80 grit wet and dry paper doesnt mark it.

the only thing i could get it off with was dry sanding with 120 grit!

****ing talk about a pain in the ass.

end rant.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
It's not paint it's anodising.

Anodising is an acid etching process, so to remove it you have to sand the top layer of alloy off.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
:stupid

Its PITA!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
sandblast it!

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
take to the anodizer and they can run the process backwards and strip it for you without scratches and labor.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Are you guys kidding this guy? You know how to remove the harder anodize crystal layer!

You use lye. Some guys like drain opener (lye, not acid!). But most, like me, just get original formula easy-off oven cleaner (must say "caution: contains lye"). I like the spray stuff, some prefer brush-on if you can even find it anymore.

It works best if you get the parts a little warm in the sun, spray it on (newspaper under it 'cause the overspray is nasty). Spray again a few times. Wipe off, hose down, steel wool lightly. Repeat process. Don't work, let the chemicals do the work. You're left with a rather dark surface.

The soft aluminum is rught underbeath, easy to sand/polish now that the hard layer is removed.

But if you're going to paint, I don't imagine you even need to remove the anodize layer unless you want to smooth casting & welds first???

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its ok its off, got a sander from my mates panel shop ripped it off quick smart without smashing up the aluminium underneath.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts