hi folks
i had trouble a couple of years ago with rain causing stalling and backfire
it disapeared ,now its back ,i cant find any cause ,any ideas please
cheers beast:banghead

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
yep common problem.

get yourself access to the front spark plug and plug lead. replace the plug. they can get a coating on them from being wet. clean the lead and cap. make sure the breather holes are open. dry it all. spray a bit of CRC or similar over it and reassemble.
If you ride in the rain regularly and it is an ongoing problem you can use a bit of plastecine (modelling clay ) to insulate it. ( an old rally driver trick)

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
typically it's the front plug boot not sealing well enough, allowing water in. saw it on another tls in August, just had to dry it out and make sure the boot was in correctly, ran fine in the rain after that.

·
Moderator,
8,250 Posts
The plug cap has an arrow on it and it's directional, but i don't remember which way the arrow should point right now. There is also a drain hole to allow water to drain out of the area around the plug. This hole can get plugged and water will accumulate around the plug and ground the spark. do what the others have said and make sure the drain is clear and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
The plug cap has an arrow on it and it's directional, but i don't remember which way the arrow should point right now.

The arrow points the exhaust..
Front to the front side and rear to the rear side.

Beast, follow as said for the rest....
You didn't say which cylinder dies, though.... (probably the front which is exposed to elements)....

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
+1 on the drain hole. Have my engine out and tried out the drains. Work well. :laugh
Jesse

·
Registered
31 Posts
plug seal is a common fault but if that fails i have seen in the past water affecting the coil, check for any cracks in ht lead and coat the coil in silicone spray to keep the water off it ,also cover your coil plugs in vaseline. if that works then find a better more permanent solution than silicone spray and vaseline because too much rain will wash it off

1 - 9 of 9 Posts