TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got enough of this material to build a 'cupl hundred cans 3-1/4" I.D. yes they are a little heavy 2lbs. for the 20"ers(i have 3 lenghts these are the longest)i was thinking they mite be a good look on a naked or monster/custom.....well ??

·
Registered
926 Posts
that would make a cool looking sleeve for sure, how do you plan on doing a baffle or packing or endcap?
you could do a supertrapp style disk kind of thing.:O
whats it made out of? aluminum?:O

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was hoping i wasnt the only one that thought they were cool !!.cast aluminum,welded 2-piece,one end is capped off so i was thinking of doing a 4-bolt flange for testing.(welding on the 4 bolt from a stock tl can)i will do a strate thru glass pak it is simple ..i will need to get the end cap figured

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
My expectations are brutally loud. The wall of the can has a lot to do with absorbing some of the sound energy by moving and that casting will not. I did experiments with soft aluminum to hard thick wall stainless on an old gsxr and the thick wall stainless was just brutal.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Gee, I guess wall flexing converts some acoustical energy into heat, but I'd really be surprised if it did much compared to the packing. If the walls really flexed much, they would re-radiate a lot of noise to the outside air too. Certainly solid mufflers work well in other applications. I suspect your old thick-wall mufflers had other problems, and I would expect a well-packed equally restrictive more rigid muffler to actually be quieter than one that flexed. As far a function, these tubes should work fine.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gee, I guess wall flexing converts some acoustical energy into heat, but I'd really be surprised if it did much compared to the packing. If the walls really flexed much, they would re-radiate a lot of noise to the outside air too. Certainly solid mufflers work well in other applications. I suspect your old thick-wall mufflers had other problems, and I would expect a well-packed equally restrictive more rigid muffler to actually be quieter than one that flexed. As far a function, these tubes should work fine.
i tend to agree with this ,but i am open to all discusion.intersting note these i have are similarly patterned on the inside,i can only imagine for economy of material

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
They do look cool!!! and if they are really loud with V1 you could do V2 with a dual chamber..similar to stock cans... just not as small of orifices so the flow will be there. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Im sure if you managed to build these cans alot of us on the zone would be intrested in taking some off your hands.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I think they would look horrible.

Different strokes...

·
Registered
19 Posts
They are very intriguing to me. A pair would look great on my SF. Could stock internals or another donor can internals be modded to fit?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thumbs down, awful, yuck! .02

·
Registered
371 Posts
That's not nessarily my taste, but the lines fit the TLR really well. It looks like to would be seen on some of the stretched out showbikes and streetfighters. They do look pretty thick; are they heavy?

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i am thinking the custom street-fighter/neked runners may like them style.they are much thinner wall than you wuld suspect,2lbs. for the unit shown,not light but not too heavy to be ruled out for the look inmo...i have found suppliers of perforated ss tube .i think there just may be enoughmaterial to go inside the end and machine a land for an end cap,to be riveted on ala the others.hanger braket will proly be 2-piece formed weld on like a stock can,i just found my old stok cans ande now realise the 4 bolt wont work,hangs out over the edges,just wouldnt look good at all,so its gonna be slip-on fit-ment..now i need to focus on ordering/finding the materials and do a set to test

·
Registered
593 Posts
not sure if i would put them on my bike but i do like your creativity and effort...keep it up...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts