TLZone Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
While you are finding out about them, I reckon you might want to find out what the coppers will slug you with if caught! I reckon it might dampen any interest in using them. From what I hear it's a VERY nasty fine!!! No matter what state your in.

But would be interesting to know anyway......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
the fine used to be around the thousand dollar mark and they confiscate the detector. they dont even have to find the detector to issue the fine. but this was a few years ago when i was driving interstate trucks....so the fine has prolly gone up since then1!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
My mate has a valentine in NZ. Bloody awesome devise. Loved the fact that it monitored 360 degrees. Very good at not picking up false signals too. Picked up everything but doesn't help against a hand held radar obviously. That comes down to you braking faster than it takes for him to turn it on.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
gouldo said:
Try nearly $1500 & 9 - yes nine points off your licence in NSW.
some how i dont think its worth it :dowhat

just goes to show there just revenue raising.
if something makes you slow down than its a bonus IMHO :O whats the bloody diff with the UHF :O you listen to that you know where thay are hiding anyway. so you slow down when you approch that area :O same as the radar it alerts you you slow down when you approch that area.

f*#ken revenue raising pigs is all they are. if there that deperate for $ sit on our street every night bound to get a hoon 1 or 2 per night do'ing approx 100kph in a 40 kph zone or burn outs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
veetwo tls said:
some how i dont think its worth it :dowhat

just goes to show there just revenue raising.
if something makes you slow down than its a bonus IMHO :O whats the bloody diff with the UHF :O you listen to that you know where thay are hiding anyway. so you slow down when you approch that area :O same as the radar it alerts you you slow down when you approch that area.

f*#ken revenue raising pigs is all they are. if there that deperate for $ sit on our street every night bound to get a hoon 1 or 2 per night do'ing approx 100kph in a 40 klm zone or burn outs.
Some comments:
From what I've heard, as well as the fine, there could be considerable damage done in the search for the device... purposely???
Some from within suggest that the uhf is about as good as it goes
There was considerable debate on detectors on aus.motorcycles a while back, they seemed to know the technicalities... I wasn't convinced that it was worth the risk.
It's not always bad, although I've had cause to grumble, have had 2 let offs this year. Last, a couple of weeks back... 3 pts and $210.... phew ... thanks! Funny feeling that; he was doing his job, there's been a couple of fatalities near here lately, I feel guilty of ?? and lose some self confidence and the feeling of invincibility, and life goes on. Cost me no cash, but it did have some impact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,745 Posts
Never been caught speeding on any bike (in 18 years!) so I don't need to look.

But I have been told my ipaq 5550 can be set up as a radar detector by an IT mate of mine :devious It has a GPS function too, so i can claim its on the bike ofr that reason only :devious

:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was more thinking for the 4WD.

the bike i use a cheap handheld UHF in my jacket with a ear peice. (good for a 5-7klm range as the crow fly's)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
i've always wanted to mount a scrambler on my bike but illegal, expensive and hard to find in illinois
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
But I have been told my ipaq 5550 can be set up as a radar detector by an IT mate of mine :devious It has a GPS function too, so i can claim its on the bike ofr that reason only :devious

:)[/QUOTE]
Ruby, in NSW. the radar's used actually detect a vehicle using a radar detector as the detector stops the reflecting beam from the police radr. The Police radar then beeps/flashes & the car is stopped. It would be the same on the GPS. If Police believe that the GPS has been modded, then they can confiscate it & inspect it internally & youre stuffed when they get the report back.

It's not worth the hassal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Sorry to sound stupid, but what do you use the UHF for? Is it just to overhear conversation in the hope that you hear them talking about patrolling your area?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,745 Posts
gouldo said:
Ruby, in NSW. the radar's used actually detect a vehicle using a radar detector as the detector stops the reflecting beam from the police radr. The Police radar then beeps/flashes & the car is stopped. It would be the same on the GPS. If Police believe that the GPS has been modded, then they can confiscate it & inspect it internally & youre stuffed when they get the report back.

It's not worth the hassal
Radars are bloody inaccurate as is. :laugh How would the detector stop the reflecting beam? My ipaq 5550 wouldn't 'absorb' a reflective beam? I've seen (very easily at night) the red beam bounce off my windshield (car) and screen (bike) and I'm doubtful the ipaq would interfere with this. :O

In any case, how could they disagree that a GPS receiver could interfere with the radar, if that is the case.

Am I making it difficult for you yet? :laugh
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
twins? hmm said:
Sorry to sound stupid, but what do you use the UHF for? Is it just to overhear conversation in the hope that you hear them talking about patrolling your area?
all the trucks / interstaters use UHF so you just listen or ask them they'll tell yah were thay are. theres always a report every 2 min over the air. truck limit it 100KPH but most sit on 110-130 KPH.

IE:

plain or double bouble = (plain car or marked cop car with lights) on the move heading south bound.

blow drier = (hand held radar) in the big dipper (big dipper is a area on the free way near here where thay hide)

barbie is cold or hot = weigh bridge is open or shut

evil canevil = bike cop


IE: Q: what the weather back there eastbound ? A: yeh theres a double bubble 30klm back east side near black stump turn off mate & a evil canevil just 5klm ahead of you .


:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
A radar detector has a local oscillator that gives of a week radio signal
That week radio signal can be detected .

Sum modern radar detectors clame to be very well shielded
And imposable to detect.

Sum one who works in the radio/radar industry would have the equipment
To verify this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Ruby said:
Radars are bloody inaccurate as is. :laugh How would the detector stop the reflecting beam? My ipaq 5550 wouldn't 'absorb' a reflective beam? I've seen (very easily at night) the red beam bounce off my windshield (car) and screen (bike) and I'm doubtful the ipaq would interfere with this. :O

In any case, how could they disagree that a GPS receiver could interfere with the radar, if that is the case.

Am I making it difficult for you yet? :laugh
Yes your making it difficult.

You cleaned your bike yet???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,745 Posts
gouldo said:
Yes your making it difficult.

You cleaned your bike yet???
You're a cop. What do you expect! :laugh

Yes, the bike is clean again :fingerlol

Though I'm waiting on a new chain. The current one is on the shagged side. :(
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top