TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

What should be the correct race tech front fork spring rate for a rider + gear weight of ~255lb?

should it be 0.95kg/mm?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
probably not, go to racetech.com and enter your info, it will get you in the general balpark.

If I had to guess I'd say 1.1kg or so, but that's just a guess. IIRC they recomend a .95kg for me and I'm a hundred lbs lighter than you.

have fun

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Racetech springs run about .5 light. I'm 220 and have 1.0s in mine. The problem is the fork doesn't have enough damping for springs that heavy. Mines a pogo stick with the 1.0s. Gonna bring them into the shop and get them revalved since we're slow right now. 1.05s would prolly work for ya.

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
Im about 220 with gear and went with .9's with custom valving and my setting/travel is perfect.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Racetech springs run about .5 light. I'm 220 and have 1.0s in mine. The problem is the fork doesn't have enough damping for springs that heavy. Mines a pogo stick with the 1.0s. Gonna bring them into the shop and get them revalved since we're slow right now. 1.05s would prolly work for ya.
I would have to differ on the idea that the RT springs are typically lighter than stated. RT does test the springs and they should be more or less right on. There will be some error of course, but I'd wager its more or less normally distributed with the mean equal to the claimed spring rate:)

In regard to the damping, have you changed fork oil lately?

good luck

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If you have a TLS the spring rates Race Tech have go up to 1.0 kg. Nothing stiffer available through them for the TLS. Bought a set for a friend of mine about a year ago & he weighed right around 250 lbs. & I figured some 1.05 kg springs would be about perfect. No go - they don't have any that hefty. We got the 1.0 kg springs & used up all the washers that came in the kit. Given he ran that bike with the stocker 0.74 kg springs in the forks for several years this was a vast improvement! Not sure how stiff a rate they carry for the TLR. Call them on Monday at (951) 279-6655, go to extension 111 & talk to Brad Bailey.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I use 0.96 springs in my TLS and am just 155lbs. So I would guess that would be too soft for someone that is 100lbs heavier. (OK, in my case that's for track use)

Greetings
Rufer

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
TLS or TLR? Year? Stock valving or not? Fluid?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Mine? TLS forks, completely rebuilt, thus revalved.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
We've seen a lot of RT springs come through our shop that measured consistently light.

I've got new fluid in mine, still no damping. It will have Axxion valves in it soon.

We have seriously heavy springs in stock, on the shelf, up to 1.2 or 1.3 for the TLR or S. We will also split sets so you can have a .975 or whatever you need. And we will swap them out if they aren't quite the right weight for you.

[email protected] or pm me.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Dan, the valving and adjusters are shit in the TL's. I was amazed at the change when I added the GP Suspension pieces. Basically new needles and a Showa style valve and new stacks with a unique spring on the compression check valve.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
We've seen a lot of RT springs come through our shop that measured consistently light.

I've got new fluid in mine, still no damping. It will have Axxion valves in it soon.

We have seriously heavy springs in stock, on the shelf, up to 1.2 or 1.3 for the TLR or S. We will also split sets so you can have a .975 or whatever you need. And we will swap them out if they aren't quite the right weight for you.

[email protected] or pm me.

weird, .05kg is a huge amount to be off by though. Most of the suspension work I've done has been on lighter bikes where changes of .01kg are noticeable:)

have fun

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm getting the 1.0kg/mm spring for racetech for my TLS and the gold valves as well.

Does the gold valve change the rebound or compression damping characteristics? Or both?

What weight of fork oil should be used in this case?

I'm contemplating getting the hayabusa forks over a stock TLS with new spring and gold valves.. price wise, the hayabusa cost a little more but the spring will not match my weight. I guess new spring and revalving might do the trick.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
5wt fork oil should be used, that's what the gold valve charts are valid for iirc.

Stock forks with proper springs and valving would be vastly better than stock busa forks. As far as I know the busa forks are not any better than the TLS forks once both are valved and sprung correctly.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
5wt fork oil should be used, that's what the gold valve charts are valid for iirc.

Stock forks with proper springs and valving would be vastly better than stock busa forks. As far as I know the busa forks are not any better than the TLS forks once both are valved and sprung correctly.
:stupid

The money you save going this route you can spend on new fork oil seals & slider bushings. Gold valve kits improve the compression valving circuit.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I bought an extra set of fork legs just so I could mess with them. I'd really like some extra-stiff springs for when I accidentally land wheelies too hard.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
The TLR and TLS forks are very different.

I haven't had the TLR forks apart yet, but they seem a lot better than my old '97 TLS forks.

The TLS valve bodies are like the HMAS valves, there's a web across the passage with only a small hole, so there's a severe limit on the speed of the fork's movement. Race Tech compression Gold Valves are meant for the compression circuit only, and flow MUCH more. The rebound valve can be ported by grinding or EDMing out the holes a little bigger.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts