TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i want to make the following mod this winter: Inlet cams from the R in my S, my S inlet cams on the other side of the head as outlet cams.

The inlet as outlet should not be so difficult with hints and a manual, but the R inlets can't go straight into my 99 engine because of the different tooth depth on the R gearwheels. I need to go the way as for example Fiche Man did, pressing on S gearwheels on the R cams. I cannot do this on my own, dont have the tools or even any measurement gauges to correctly press on the wheels. In fact i wonder how a machine shop will do that correctly, as Fiche Man said the cams could rotate when pressing and there are no marks to hold on?

If i remember right, a member here used the R cams without pressing the S gears on and had an engine failure?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
i'm runnig R cams in my S. just swapped en straght over. not had any problems. put them in 2 years ago now.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jagboy, did You notice a different depth of the gear tooth? The newer S engines, from 2000 on i think, have the R driving gears.

I'm afraid to put the cams in without taking care of the gears.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Faltenhals said:
Hi Jagboy, did You notice a different depth of the gear tooth? The newer S engines, from 2000 on i think, have the R driving gears.

when i fitted mine i bought tlr idler gears. they are a straight swap and then you know nothing's going to break

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Faltenhals said:

i cant say i noticed any difference in tooth depth. but then i was told they were a straight swap,so i didn't measure them.:O all seems fine to me. might get them reground at some point in the future. :devious

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
chraika1 said:
why dont you guys just go by an R? too much for you to handle?:lol..

Ash

bloody kids:laugh :laugh

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
tornado said:
when i fitted mine i bought tlr idler gears. they are a straight swap and then you know nothing's going to break
That's the way I'd do it

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Faltenhals said:
So i want to make the following mod this winter: Inlet cams from the R in my S, my S inlet cams on the other side of the head as outlet cams.

The inlet as outlet should not be so difficult with hints and a manual, but the R inlets can't go straight into my 99 engine because of the different tooth depth on the R gearwheels. I need to go the way as for example Fiche Man did, pressing on S gearwheels on the R cams. I cannot do this on my own, dont have the tools or even any measurement gauges to correctly press on the wheels.
Bernhard has done this Mod also and he is in Germany.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
You'll have to think about the target for the cam sensor. I think it's in the rear exhaust cam, no inlet will have the pin in it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@ Tornado: Would be perfekt, but i have to take the Motor out for this. The frame routs in front of one idler gear, so tools cant be used until the engine is lowered.

@ Steve: Ok, thanks for the advise with the sensor.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Steve TLS said:
You'll have to think about the target for the cam sensor. I think it's in the rear exhaust cam, no inlet will have the pin in it.
looks like that cam sensor is on the rear intake cam so that will not be a problem but you will lose your auto decompression on start up .that is on the exhaust cams

·
Banned
257 Posts
I wonder if anyone has done the opposite and increased the exhaust duration/lift via a TLR inlet cam ?
I have right now 4 TLR inlet cams in my 2001 TLS :)
Good for my big headers:devious

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I have right now 4 TLR inlet cams in my 2001 TLS :)
Good for my big headers:devious

You have 4 TLR intake cams in your TLS? WIth what pistons? I see that's more exhaust lift than even the Web Cam aftermarket cams!

Do you think the stock exhaust cams are originally made too conservative for emissions or fuel mileage reasons?

Seems to me that if I could use TLR intake cams as exhaust cams in my TLR, I might be able to get just aftermarket intake cams for half what the full set goes for. I wonder whether there's any interference issues with the Wiseco 12:1 flat-top pistons?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts