TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moderator,
8,244 Posts
Yep, that's one of the things I like about Nikon, the lenes can be used forever. The new Sonys with picture stabilization built into the camera body can also use lots of old lenses that are out there. Let's not talk about Canon though...:coocoo

·
Moderator,
8,244 Posts
Yep, as does Nikon, which means every time you buy a new lens you pay for it again. With the stabilization in the camera you pay for it only once and it works with all the old lenses that you can still use with the camera. I can't remember which mount type the Sony uses right off the top of my head though. If I get ambitious and it's important, I might go look it up.

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i want to pony up to a full dSLR, and have 3 lenses from some old nikon 35mm's i inherited. having to only buy a body really saves me a ton, and means I can splurge a little bit more.

-:banana

·
Registered
276 Posts
Are the lenses AF lenses? That may be your only downside if they are not.

Which Nikon bodies do you have?

·
Registered
99 Posts
you can use any Nikon lens on all the new digital SLRs (D70, D200 etc). Effectively they become 1.5x longer, i.e., 60 mm becomes 90 mm, because of the difference between a 35 mm frame and the smaller digital CCD chip. Often, the optics of the loder lenses are better than the newer ones. I've moved form a Nikon FE, to 8008, to N90, to F4, to D70, using the same manual and AF lenses along the way.

·
Moderator,
8,244 Posts
Hmmm, I wasn't aware of the focal length difference. Makes the use of the older lenses even more attractive. I too am looking at going digital and have pretty well decided against Canon. I have lenses for them but of course can't use them due to their changing mounts about as often as I do socks. Personally I can't afford a new AF 80-200 constant f2.8, but I can buy an old manual focus and use that since they are relatively cheap now.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Effectively they become 1.5x longer
remember it's not free range, it's a crop.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yep, I've read that you can use any old lenses on a Nikon, cannon can use any of the EF series lenses (not that I have a clue what those are - that's just what it says in the manual).

If I had a bunch of nikon lenses alreayd I'd go for a Nikon for sure. In fact, if it weren't for a great deal and my wifes preferences I probably would have gone for a Nikon or Sony. The cannon XT and XTi is physically quite a lot smaller than the others and was the only one that fit my wife's tiny hands well so we went for it:thumbup

From what I've read, the only real advantage of the cannon is speed, it seems its got faster burst rates and is a bit quicker between shots. Its also usually the least expensive. I like ours just fine, but if I were getting a camera just for me I'd get something with a larger grip.

i found this site to be awsome for reviews, pics and such
http://www.dcresource.com/

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
When I worked at a camera shop I always spouted the bit about the Nikon lens mount. One day this lady came in with an OOOOooooooold Nikon SLR she was sending in for cleaning. For grins she let me take her lens and try it on some of the brand new SLR's and DSLR's. Fit and worked perfectly.

FYI, for a smaller dSLR, try out the new Nikon D40. It's almost too small for me.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
If these are MF lenses, look for a camera body with exchangeable matt screen. The DSLR bodies often don't have a cross section viewfinder. Because the viewfinder is relatively small, it is thus often impossible to focus exactly manual. Not sure what Nikon uses as default viewfinder.

Greetings
Rufer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts