TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only really cruise around on my bike (tlr) and the occasional straight line burst. The you guys talk about how bad the rotary is and have me worried. I've been looking into the h3 swap but is it really necessary? Think I rather spend my money elsewhere for my style of riding. Like upgraded front forks, exhaust, small mods, power comander, etc

Thoughts?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I swap rear shock coz I had oporrtunity. Swap rear shock is like upgrade to me. New shock is two times lighter and better so you've got two things insted of one i think.
New exhaust system is expensive and to get best result in BHP you should think about remaping sthaight or even do something to perform intake system.
And what do you meant upgrade front forks?

And swap rear shock is not that expensive to be honest.
It's just depend what you want to do with your bike.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Where about do you live and ride? If you only ride around and not pushing the limit of your bike, you don't have to do any upgrade to the the bike suspension in the rear or front. The TLR was made competant for the road and minor track days encounter, as long as the shock and forks are completly serviceable. Have the suspension and bike set up for your riding style, weight and comfort.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bike is apart. I know the Honda f3 can be had for less then 50 shipped and will need re-valued but still pretty cheap. I'm looking at just mufflers. Not spending $1k plus on headers. The bike also is a naked( got it that way) so the ram air is kinda useless. Previous owner removed the top of the air box and it didn't come with it. I put separate filters on the throttle bodies. It runs pretty good with out it. The thing needs so much to go back to stock it would be cheaper to buy a complete bike. But I had a lot off fun on it this past summer and would like to keep it. Just want to update and fix somethings so it's not so ghetto...

I also live in an area where curvy roads are very far away few between. So mostly just cruising through town with buddies. Maybe a few highway cruises. I did take it down a few hours were I live to some nice roads and it pretty good. Keep in mind all my old bikes were old hondas and a hard tail bobber. Anything will ride better then those.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indianapolis indiana. Not many fun curvy roads. Closest is about an hour away. I did take the bike down twice last year on a cruise. It did pretty good for what it is. I also don't really plan on pusing it. If nlwas able it afford it I would have a zx14r. So different kind of ridding goals then most on here.

Going with busa front end for the blind and it's getting rebuilt to my specs. Rear is in good condition. It's a newer unit in the back. I am getting the spring set up differently though since I'm in the 230lb range. Feels kind of soft to me.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Given your weight you'll need to change the springs in the front (assuming stock forks). The racetech calculator suggests you'd need 1.1 springs in the front. Having recently run into handling problems on my TLR due to me eating too much I can say it will make quite a difference getting it right.

For mostly straight line work you could get the rotary serviced and while it won't be spectacular it will be functional. The Q/C when they built those rotary dampers was a bit hit and miss to say the least. Some actually work ok although many don't. Its pot luck as to what you get. There are some relatively cheap replacements on the market these days which you can buy customized for your weight. IIWY I'd go down that route rather than try hacking some old Honda unit into shape.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also live in an area where curvy roads are very far away few between. So mostly just cruising through town with buddies. Maybe a few highway cruises. I did take it down a few hours were I live to some nice roads and it pretty good. Keep in mind all my old bikes were old hondas and a hard tail bobber. Anything will ride better then those.
So maybe just make your own project of bike if you using motorbike only for cruising. Straight handlebar, make your own frame, get longer swing arm, lower seat.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Next thing is if you do only cruising sell tlr and buy Suzuki SV1000.
More comfortable, better fuel consumption, a bit less power but better for cruising than tlr. And you will still get fun from v-twin engine :)

So if you don't want to ride hard leave tlr for someone else who know what is all about.
In my opinion japanies engineers made tlr to ride hard.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Next thing is if you do only cruising sell tlr and buy Suzuki SV1000.
More comfortable, better fuel consumption, a bit less power but better for cruising than tlr. And you will still get fun from v-twin engine :)

So if you don't want to ride hard leave tlr for someone else who know what is all about.
In my opinion japanies engineers made tlr to ride hard.
I ride it hard when I can. Not race track hard but more then enough to make me happy. When I say cruise I'm not talkingoing about Harley cruising. Just with a bunch of buddies around town. I don't find it uncomfortable since I got the wrist saver thing. I do plan on getting two inch risers for the bars and that's about it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So maybe just make your own project of bike if you using motorbike only for cruising. Straight handlebar, make your own frame, get longer swing arm, lower seat.
I am very much thinking of going the street fighter looks since it will be less work and less money. 2 inch risers for the bars, aftermarket tail more aggressive headlight, etc. Keeping the rotary dampaner was my hold up. Getting a different rear shock would probably make it ride better and look better. But it all depends on price and labour. I got a lot of compliments even when I first got it and it looked like shit to me. Probably mostly because there are hardly any tl's where I live...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm with six5..doesn't sound like money and effort well spent with what you do with it. Unless it's so crap it's dangerous, then you could refresh what you have.

It felt better the the old hondas I've had. Probably because this is the only sport bike I've ridden but it didn't feel dangerous to me. The front end on the other hand needs rebuilt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Given your weight you'll need to change the springs in the front (assuming stock forks). The racetech calculator suggests you'd need 1.1 springs in the front. Having recently run into handling problems on my TLR due to me eating too much I can say it will make quite a difference getting it right.

For mostly straight line work you could get the rotary serviced and while it won't be spectacular it will be functional. The Q/C when they built those rotary dampers was a bit hit and miss to say the least. Some actually work ok although many don't. Its pot luck as to what you get. There are some relatively cheap replacements on the market these days which you can buy customized for your weight. IIWY I'd go down that route rather than try hacking some old Honda unit into shape.
I'm definitely not looking for spectacular. Just something I don't have to worry about killing me. Front end needs rebuilt anyway. Fork seals are leaking anyway. Gonna buy a busa set and have them rebuilt to my numbers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts