TLZone Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, after 5 pretty lucrative years, i put in my two weeks notice at my job today. i was part of growing a company from 5 to 15 people, learned a ton and saved some money.

it was one of the hardest things ive done but i definitely reached the point of diminishing returns and im so happy to have a little free time, even if just for a while.

:banana

ive got resumes in for a few weeks now at corporate yamaha and suzuki. and some contacts via friends i made right here :thumbup i could ride my bicycle to the yamaha offices which work work out well since i ride two suzukis :laugh suzuki is about a 20 miles jaunt through the worst part of a horrible freeway but im pretty proficient at lane splitting and not dying. :devious knock on wood :laugh

both would be fun jobs around my favorite thing in the world :) the pay doesnt compare to building bombs but hey, what does these days :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Awsome, congrats:thumbup I was actually wondering how it was going just a few hours ago.....I wouldn't mind taking a pay cut to work with motorcycles I think, if I made a lot doing a non-mc job I'd just spend it all on MC's anyway (ok, if I made ALOT I'd spend some on airplanes too......) but anyway I'll worry about making a lot to start with:)

have fun:banana

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I would like a SV650 powered hypermotard I think and do something about the looks and suspension on the V-strom would ya?

:D

G

·
good move john :)

you have made the right choice for sure, half of your life is your job, so you'd better enjoy it as much as possible :yes :thumbup

·
Registered
871 Posts
hope it works out well for you. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Good Luck John, let us know when you get some freebies.....:coocoo

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
I missed a thread somewhere N2, but I know all two well what you mean. I had the some of the same problems as you may have read. This new job of mine which I landed on the last day of my employment with my last job is just a few thousand less than what I was making.

My pay was/is no where near your earning potential but besides that we may have been in the same boat. Something will come along. I think with your credentails you will land something great that appeases to you.

:thumbup

·
Registered
546 Posts
Dunno about your experience, but it feels weird doing it after so many years huh?

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Good for you John. Ah the financial freedom that comes with no kids under the roof. :hail I would love to pull something like that, but it is not in the cards. Too many responsibilties for college funds and the like. I can live cheap on my own, but not under the weight of 2 kids and a wife. I have to say, I am a little envious :laugh

That is OK. I like my job pretty well most days. 10.5 years from now, I get a pension for life, 60% of my pay after 30 years of service. The 401K should be fat by then. I have worked my whole life and forgone some things, saving for that semi-retirement day. Even so, I still managed to have some good fun along the way. I have good friends like yourself with cool toys too. That helps.

Anyway, when that happy day arrives, I think it is off to Durango, CO, to open my own Independent Adjuster shop. I really don't care if I only get a few claims a year and I will definitely not make it a full time deal. Perhaps maybe some MC related this and that and whatnot too. It will be cool to work because I want to, not because I have to. I can't wait :)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yeah buddy! Go get 'em.

Good luck & kick some ass during those upcoming interviews. I will try to pick a few minds when I meet up with some of those Yamaha guys I know & work with at the track on the 6th & 7th. They may have a little insight on this interview stuff & what they may be looking for...

:)

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks alot guys... i really appreciate the support and encouragement.

im really looking forward to some time off. :banana ive squirrelled away over a years worth of mortgage payments, our vehicles were purchased used and paid for cash. at the ripe old age of 37 the sv is the ONLY vehicle ive ever bought new. no student loans or CC debt left... ive managed not to grow into my salary over the years and now im going to enjoy some of that disipline.

im in a position that i can afford a lesser paying job and still live in socal. a move to CO right now would be a cake walk.

ive got my feelers out but for at least a few months im going to enjoy myself, go visit some friends in fun places (dukes got two street legal bikes and snow!) :banana, get my hunting license and go hang with my father in law, go see my parents in lancaster, PA, join the gym and get big again. im probably as happy right now as i have been in several years.

:)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sounds awsome:thumbup

If you make it to the VA/DC area look me up. Perhaps you should go on a MC tour of the country or ride to Alaska or Tierra del fuego or something:D

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
a move to CO right now would be a cake walk.
:stupid coming from someone who did it. Bless tax free capital gains on your house :)

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Congrats. Have fun and enjoy the fresh opportunities out there. My brother is heading off to west Australia in a few months for a year stint - he never saw that coming until the offer dropped in his lap. (Naval architect/engineer) Who knows what you might find. Any idea what you might be looking for at this point?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts