TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I am in the final stages of purchasing a TL1000R. It is a 1999 factory blue/white rims with 11k miles on it. Pretty much bone stock except for matching rear seat cowl and fender eliminator. Seller was asking $2400 to start but I have him at $1500 now which I am very excited about!

Here are my concerns with the bike. It has been dropped in the driveway and the right mid fairing has some scuffs (not too bad-in second picture). The bar end and lever will need to be replaced. The left mirror has also been broken off. I'm thinking I can probably pick these items up from members or ebay if needed.

I'm fine with all that, but I went to look at it today and it wouldn't start. Ended up having to jump the bike and it ran ok. I took it for a ride and everything seemed to check out. The front steering seems pretty loose compared to my current GSXR 1100W, but the front tire is worn lopsided and will need to be replaced at the start of next season (left side worn much more than right).

The seller said he replaced the battery early this year but has let it pretty much sit all summer. How likely is the problem just a dead battery and not the alternator/charging system? The battery read like 4 or less ampheres on the charger.

Also, he said he has lost the title and on Friday went to the BMV to request a replacement which he will receive sometime this week. Obviously I will wait to purchase/pick up the bike until he receives the new title. I was thinking about calling the BMV since I have the VIN and asking if they could check up on it?

Any opinions or comments welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
418 Posts
tl's suffer when it comes to batteries as they need alot of umff to turn them over, also if the plugs are a little dirty then starting will be even more of a struggle. These bikes dont like to be left ticking over either. Once they're started they really need to be ridden. Typically new tl owners have a terrible habbit of starting them up just to hear the lovely sound they make then turn them off, then their mates come round so you go an do it agian, then the guy in the next street hears the sound so he pops round and the bike gets started again left to tick over revved a bit then turned off. Dont do this, it fouls the plugs and some say that the oil is easily contaminated with fuel.

the price sound resonable .....parts are fairly cheap if you buy used stuff of ebay. but if it sounds to good to be true then it probbably is so dont break the golden rule and dont risk buying a stolen bike, if you do then your only fuelling the smack head scum that rob people of their pride and joy. if the guy is genuine he'll get all the papers for you. check the welds on the frame for cracking esspecially on damaged bikes. generally these bike are bullet proof but not indistructable..........oh and i almost forgot they're a shit load of fun once you get your head round the different ridding style needed over an I4.:hail

ps. measure the amps when runnung the engine....

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I verified with the DMV that a replacement title was issued today for the bike's VIN, so it seems legitimate. I will know later this week when the seller contacts me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think thats a good deal. I was almost in the same position as you when i got mine. Dropped in driveway, lien on title and wont stay running. All parts damaged were replaced with aftermarket stuff and running issue was solved by putting throttle bodies back into the boot. Just get a good idea of what needs to be done and decide if you can afford it, have the time for it and have the knowledge to do it yourself. Now that i think about it id get another for that price and start the mods all over again.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'd get it. Look in the freq mods section on this site and find zippy's charging mod. The TL's charging system/wiring is not the best. This charging mod takes less than an hour and less than $10. It should solve all your problems. I wish it was close to me, then I'd get it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think thats a good deal. I was almost in the same position as you when i got mine. Dropped in driveway, lien on title and wont stay running. All parts damaged were replaced with aftermarket stuff and running issue was solved by putting throttle bodies back into the boot. Just get a good idea of what needs to be done and decide if you can afford it, have the time for it and have the knowledge to do it yourself. Now that i think about it id get another for that price and start the mods all over again.

I can afford it, however whenever I seem to get a bike the accessorizing never ends:banghead. This would be my fourth bike and I have a fairly good knowledge for wrenching on bikes. It would be my second Vtwin after owning a Honda VTX 1800.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd get it. Look in the freq mods section on this site and find zippy's charging mod. The TL's charging system/wiring is not the best. This charging mod takes less than an hour and less than $10. It should solve all your problems. I wish it was close to me, then I'd get it.

I'll take a look at that thread - thanks for the info!

·
Registered
96 Posts
+1 and i'll raise you a valve adjustment and a throttle body adj since its torn down anyway!!!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Check the file vault for the manual and it gives a good how-to. Also, there's a video by Suzuki that outlines how to do the TB sync.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check the file vault for the manual and it gives a good how-to. Also, there's a video by Suzuki that outlines how to do the TB sync.
Found the shop manaul - thanks! Where would that video be, on this site or somewhere on the internet that I have to search out?

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
For $1500 you could always sell parts and make more money on it ... that's a good price! Anything else you need to do to bring it up to snuff will still mean you've got a great deal!
God I hate not living in the US sometimes :laugh

·
Registered
4,456 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bone stock. Boy, were those the days......

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Well, I ended up buying it for $1500 last Sunday and sold it today for $3000.:bwtiller
so . . . .

do you want a medal or a chest to pin it on :coocoo

asking people for help is to help you enjoy the machine, not to brag about selling it. You gonna give a cut to those that helped you :O

1 - 17 of 17 Posts