TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fitted 6 pot calipers

Hi all

Fitted some Tokico 6 pot calipers to my TLS a few weeks ago. Have only done a few hundred miles since. They have 'used' pads in.

I notice that when braking, especially from a high speed I get a pulsing feeling in the brake lever and front end feels like it's shaking.
When pushing the bike I can hear a 'click' sound coming from the caliper (s), but not a constant one - as if it clicks at a certain point on each rotation of the wheel.

2 other things worth mentioning is that there is a large amount of movement of the pads inside the caliper and the other day I noticed on one of the disks there are 2 lines of brake dust. Just on the right hand disk - There's one ring of dust on the outside and one on the inside of the disk (that is on the outside of the disk). Shiny in the middle.

The disks aren't noticeably warped and didn't occur with my old 4 pot calipers.

Any ideas If should just put new pads in and see what happens?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Sounds like you've at least got seized pistons. You could try just pumping the pistons out as far as possible without disassembling the calipers and giving them a good clean - this may free them up. Ideally strip the calipers and remove the pistons - give everything a good clean and check the seals.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
:stupid and fit new pads as well :thumbup

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
The six spots have a greater surface area and would be more affected by a bent rotor. run a dial gauge over them just to make sure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi, weired im from Reading, and my brakes are playing up too. Where about in reading are you? I would say that theyare warped too, but you said you have had the other brakes on and they were fine. hmm

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Unless it's a build up of friction material on the disks from the old pads. It might need to be removed.

A decent clean and roughing up of the disks and a roughing up of the pads in the replacement calipers.

The uneven application of friction material on the disk can cause shuddering as different sections have more grip than others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts