TLZone Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
bigrig...somehow i missed the fact that the fans would still come on whether i turned them on with the switch or not...do they cut off if the switch is on and the bike is not?...

as for my climate, its not humid...i live in los angeles..i dont ride in the wet if i can help it and my bike is always parked in the garage..

what about wrapping just the front pipe (behind the rad), the rear pipe (near the rear shock) and the mid pipes?? i am really looking for a way to diminish the heat and cover up a dinged mid pipe on the left side...i expect some heat because it comes with the bike...thanks again fellas i appreciate all the input...

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,854 Posts
bigrig...somehow i missed the fact that the fans would still come on whether i turned them on with the switch or not...do they cut off if the switch is on and the bike is not?......
If you just put the switch in parallel with the thermoswitch they will. i.e Ignition off = fans off.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
thanks steve...thats what i needed to know...gonna do this mod once i tear the bike down in a couple of weeks...

i guess i'm not the only early riser on the Zone...lol...

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
I'm allergic to electrics so the ins and outs of the fan switch, I couldn't tell you. sorry

If the switch is left on, I wouldn't think it'll turn off on its own.
However you could possibly use one of those switches (like a built in timer) where you press the button to turn it on and it stays on for a certain time. As well as the system already on your bike then it would turn on at certain temp or when you want, and turn off at certain temp or after certain time.

I'm sure someone like D'Ecosse (electrics wiz) could run you through how or what.

Wrapping the headers obviously isn't going to dissolve you pipes the second you put it on, so as long as your aware of the possibility of lots of steam when wet and rust underneath the wrapping you can keep it in check. Go for it, as I said earlier personally I wouldn't, but thats me I ride in all weathers, so my bike takes a hammering anyway.

Just try it and see what happens :O :thumbup

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,854 Posts
thanks steve...thats what i needed to know...gonna do this mod once i tear the bike down in a couple of weeks...

i guess i'm not the only early riser on the Zone...lol...

Early riser?

It's 11:35pm Sunday evening here. :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
oh shit...its just before 5am sunday morning here...lol...duh...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
thanks to all for their input...gonna wrap the front and rear pipes on the header and the mid pipes plus do the fan switch mod in parallel with the thermo switch and hopefully i can lightly roast my nuts instead of frying them...lol...

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,854 Posts
That's it. TLR = Testicles Lighty Roasted

·
Registered
241 Posts
I wrapped my exhaust and have a much more comfortable ride as far as heat getting to me.I used a high temperature coating from napa,i put wrap on then sprayed on coating and after initial burn off which took a while it still burns off a little now and then but looks fantastic and the coolant temp takes longer to get to operating temp(good or bad?) and im sure it keeps a lot of heat off oil pan and rear shock too' good luck!! There are different color coatings available too,i used black on my yosh R3 system.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Actually from what others have said about the pipe getting hotter from being wrapped is from what I have been told and have seen, is wrong. The way it was explained to me was that the less heat could be transfered from the pipe to the air, the less heat could be transfered from the exhaust to the pipe. I can vouch that once wrapped or coated, the pipes cool to the touch a lot faster then without the wrap. The headers on my mustang would take upwards of a half hour to cool enough to touch before the wrap, now it takes less then 5 mins.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I wrapped my exhaust and have a much more comfortable ride as far as heat getting to me.I used a high temperature coating from napa,i put wrap on then sprayed on coating and after initial burn off which took a while it still burns off a little now and then but looks fantastic and the coolant temp takes longer to get to operating temp(good or bad?) and im sure it keeps a lot of heat off oil pan and rear shock too' good luck!! There are different color coatings available too,i used black on my yosh R3 system.
yeah, i'm going with black and gonna spray the wrap with high temp coating...did you wrap your entire exhaust from header to cans?? And, how long have you had the wrap on?? just curious...thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
ok Mikey that changes things a bit...i may coat the headers and wrap the mid pipes for looks since my mid pipes are dinged on the left side...thanks...more research...lol...

what about the gap mod, will that help with getting rid of the heat??..not sure about the fan switch mod because i dont want to have to remember to turn it on and off...lazy or forgetful or both...lol...
Jet Hot sounds good "13" I might want to look into that . Let me no what you decide to do!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
already contacted jet hot and waiting for a quote...if its not too much i may go with the coating but if it is too expensive i will be wrapping at least the near the rad and rear shock and mid pipes with shortened cans...will let you know how much quote is...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am considering wrapping the exhaust on my 2000 TL1000s and live is Northern California... should I worry about climate, I store my bike outside and and our rainy season is not very long.

I haven't heard of TLs having any problems with any of their stock or aftermarket stainless headers ozidizing. Steel car exhausts perhaps but its just not a problem I've heard of with stainless.

Wrapping my stock TLs headers w/ CF Yosh full-race slip-ons made no performance difference distinguishable from daily variances. The slight increase in weight probably made as much (or little) difference. On a v-8 car I imagine the increased velocity wrapped might imporve scavenging, but it didn't make a difference on my TL.

I didn't get to conduct decafe-long tests against some control group, but wrapping the stainless headers doesn't seem to have any effect on longevity of the pipes or even the inlet end of the CF muffler canister which has traditionally suffered from heat damage. Apparently it's still pretty hot where the pipe meets the muffler regardless of whether its wrapped or not.

My guess is that with free-flowing full-race mufflers much of the heat moves with the air, and the amount of heat lost thru the pipe wall is a smaller fraction that we might at first think. Some of the heat in a stock exhaust is due to back pressure and the conversion of sound into heat.

My TLS had a lot of CF (Cf wheels, fenders, huggers, etc), and the fabric look of the pipe wrap had a complimentary textural look. YMMV.

That all said, I've considered adding a finned clamp to my front pipe near the head port...mostly because I liked the look on my air-cooled Brit and Duc bikes but thinking perhaps it might lower the temp of the front head one degree when the bike is moving fast???

21 - 36 of 36 Posts