TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to decrease the amount of heat that is cooking my big ass in traffic so i am thinking about wrapping my entire Yosh RS3 system from headers to cans to help cool things down a bit. Also gonna do the gap mod dont know if that will help though and maybe the fan switch mod but not sure yet...help me out folks...what are the pros and cons of wrapping the entire exhaust system and will it help cool things down??...thanks in advance to all for the input...

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Should help keep the bike a little cooler, If it gets wet or damp you increase the chances of your exhaust getting rusty. Its harder to keep clean if its wrapped.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have seen many companies that use a high temp coating for headers and such. I have been told that it cools things down quite a bit. And it looks really smooth too...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the only problem with that Dudeman and i should have mentioned in first post is that there is a ding in the mid pipe on the left side...wrap would cover that up as well...but i will check into the coating?? thanks..

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I've never wrapped a pipe, but from what I hear it often causes corrosion issues and can make a ton of steam if you get stopped in wet weather. I have used jet hot on different bikes and it makes a noticeable difference in heat radiated from the pipe. I don't see why you couldn't do jet hot + wrap if you wanted to go all out:)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
waiting for a quote from jet hot...really thinking of doing both or atleast a partial wrap including the front (near rad and oil cooler) and rear (near shock)...good idea BikePilot...how come i didnt think of that?...lol...duh...

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had looked into that in the past and was told not to coat then wrap. They said it holds to much heat in the pipes. Something about cooking the coating off and possibly warping/distorting the pipes. Just a thought for you to look into.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok Mikey that changes things a bit...i may coat the headers and wrap the mid pipes for looks since my mid pipes are dinged on the left side...thanks...more research...lol...

what about the gap mod, will that help with getting rid of the heat??..not sure about the fan switch mod because i dont want to have to remember to turn it on and off...lazy or forgetful or both...lol...

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Why don't you put a manual switch on so that you can put the fan on whne you like and keep the thermo switch too? I'm sure D'Ecosse could tell you how to did it.

Personally I wouldn't wrap the exhaust any where, if there is even a slight chance you exhaust is gonna get wet. That way it not gonna get rusty under the wrap.

·
Registered
72 Posts
wrapping the exhaust will corrode it quicker....but it still takes a long time. my rc51 has been wrapped for over 2 yrs with minimal corrosion. another alternative is to wrap the pipe then spray the wrap with high temp spray paint. it makes it look better and also helps keep it from absorbing moisture.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok...leaning toward coating the header and wrapping the mid pipes to hide rash on left mid pipe...depending on what it will cost to coat i may have to go with the wrap until i can coat it...thanks

bigrig...i just dont want to bother remembering to turn it on and off...but may have to go with the fan switch mod to cool off my nuts...

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
wrapping the exhaust will corrode it quicker....but it still takes a long time. my rc51 has been wrapped for over 2 yrs with minimal corrosion. another alternative is to wrap the pipe then spray the wrap with high temp spray paint. it makes it look better and also helps keep it from absorbing moisture.
How do you know what condition its in if it been wrapped for two years? :confused

Plus it depends what kinda of climate you live in, where and how you store the bike. What conditions you ride in. etc.
But, personally I wouldn't wrap it. my .02

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have both the gap mod and a fan switch. The gap mod was more of a visual thing, didn't do much for heat. And the fan switch is in parallel with the thermo switch, so if I forget to turn it on it will still come on with temp.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ive have a self-diagnosed case of ocd. ive taken the exhaust apart and un wrapped at least twice:):) i live in the midwest u.s. so it sees all kinds of weather.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
I have both the gap mod and a fan switch. The gap mod was more of a visual thing, didn't do much for heat. And the fan switch is in parallel with the thermo switch, so if I forget to turn it on it will still come on with temp.
Yeah, thats what I meant, :laugh

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
The Yosh pipes (and the stock) are stainless, they may get some surface discoloration but no serious corrosion. I wrapped my TLS pipes afeter burning nylon insulating cold-weather overpants on them several times. Personally I liked the wrapped pipes. They smoked a bit the first week. Riding in the rain, they did steam when I stopped. Otherwise I liked it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Depends on why you want to wrap your exhaust pipes. Headers need to be surrounded by cool air to function properly. When you use wrap you basically are trapping the heat in, and temeratures can almost reach the melting point. You have seen videos of cars on a dyno. Notice how hot the headers get? I saw one where they glowed bright red. Imagine that wrapped up, what would happen to them. I read that some designers and engineers say that the material used for the headers are designed to withstand those high temperatures. This may be true. But when the header is not allowed to cool properly this leads to nothing but failure of the part. It is simple thermal isolation. The headers get the heat source from the engine. The heat on the outside of the header is basically trapped between the wrap and the header, causing a layer of extremem heat to have no where to go except back into the header material itself. Over time, this is amplified and can fatigue the header. Another thing to realize that is over time, header oxidize, losing some material in the process. This leads to lighter and weaker headers. When wrapped this basically speeds up the process. I would recommend if you really need to get rid of heat, both inside and outside of the exhaust need to be coated with treatment similar to what Jet Coat provides. In a preformance aspect wrapping the exhaust is a great idea because the exhaust gas heat is contained and contributes to rapid expulsion of gas out of the exhaust. And that is if you are in a primarly dry climate or just track use. If you are in a high humidity climate a coating is a better choice, which does not trap the moisture between the wrap and the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I haven't heard of TLs having any problems with any of their stock or aftermarket stainless headers ozidizing. Steel car exhausts perhaps but its just not a problem I've heard of with stainless.

Wrapping my stock TLs headers w/ CF Yosh full-race slip-ons made no performance difference distinguishable from daily variances. The slight increase in weight probably made as much (or little) difference. On a v-8 car I imagine the increased velocity wrapped might imporve scavenging, but it didn't make a difference on my TL.

I didn't get to conduct decafe-long tests against some control group, but wrapping the stainless headers doesn't seem to have any effect on longevity of the pipes or even the inlet end of the CF muffler canister which has traditionally suffered from heat damage. Apparently it's still pretty hot where the pipe meets the muffler regardless of whether its wrapped or not.

My guess is that with free-flowing full-race mufflers much of the heat moves with the air, and the amount of heat lost thru the pipe wall is a smaller fraction that we might at first think. Some of the heat in a stock exhaust is due to back pressure and the conversion of sound into heat.

My TLS had a lot of CF (Cf wheels, fenders, huggers, etc), and the fabric look of the pipe wrap had a complimentary textural look. YMMV.

That all said, I've considered adding a finned clamp to my front pipe near the head port...mostly because I liked the look on my air-cooled Brit and Duc bikes but thinking perhaps it might lower the temp of the front head one degree when the bike is moving fast???

1 - 20 of 36 Posts