TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if a good point of reference to adjust the chain is:

Having a full aftermarket exhaust system, bike on a rear stand... chain drags just slightly on the pipe with no rider in the seat.
Stock chain length, 17/42 sprockets, suspension set correctly.

Would that be a good way to adjust it:O

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I have a Yosh full system and I adjust it so the chain just clears the pipe. When you sit on it you get even more clearance. I figure this way, on a bumpy road the chain is not so likely to hit the pipe. You want to allow enough slack so it doesn't prevent the rear shock to compress fully if needed. That would put a lot of stress on not only the chain but the bearings in the swing arm & drive shaft.

·
Moderator,
8,236 Posts
Kind of a radical idea here, but you could try doing like the manual says.:O

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
When I've adjusted I check space between arm and axle blocks with a vernier. By lack of better tools..

·
Registered
6 Posts
only just bought my bike, what size is the socket i need to buy for the rear wheel removal etc. (english size!), oh and thnaks for the easy explanation video on the chain tension .. great for thickies like me, keeps it nice and simple... :cheers

·
Registered
501 Posts
36mm for the axle nut, 14mm for the brake torque arm, a 10 and 12mm spanner for the adjusters. Torque setting of axle is 100Nm and the brake torque arm nut is 35Nm :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ta Muchly, £24_00 for the 36mill socket!!! job done now anyhow and sorted, clutch blead also, so a nice productive morning. thanks for the help, col. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
25 - 35mm (1.0 - 1.4in) verticle movement in the middle of the chain between front and rear sprocket.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I put mine on the rear race stand and pull the tail down with a ratchet tie down.

Just so the swing arm is lined up to the front sprocket, this is where the chain is at the most tension.

I then adjust so that there is minimal slack at that point but still just a tiny bit.

This way you have the right amount of slack at full tension and the least amount of slack at static sag.

It always pays to then compress the rear once everything is tightened back up to check its all good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts