TLZone Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before you begin...make sure you want it really bad!

start by locating all the parts...you will need :
1.) spare headlight assembly "S" or "R"
2.) two Projector housings (they come in many sizes) I used 80mm
3.) what ever you plan to replace the prismatic lens you cut off with I bought lens cover after failing to make my own clear lens (not giving up just need warmer weather i think)
4.)decide now if you plan to Bling it up with Halo's (Angel eyes) if you do there are many ways to do it I used computer mod parts from an 80 mm fan x2 others have used LED's, plastic curtain rods and fiber optics.
5.) bulbs to fit what ever style projectors to decide on & if you want to go HID you will need ballasts/ignitors x2 many, many kits out there i went with HID and Decided to go with D2S type bulbs as they are the most common in use by auto mfgrs.(just in case i need something in the middle of nowhere)
6.) tools to get the job done!...Pliers Screwdrivers DREMELand a few other items found in the shop and a little bit of space to work in (IT WILL GET MESSY!) OTHER THAN THAT ALL YOU NEED IS PATIENCE AND DETERMINATION...

Step one:
remove any components from the headlight assembly start by useing a china marker to draw a line around the light assy. to help you cut straight... then cut off the lens

the only place i had any trouble was at the top (arrows)

i found that making many small cuts or not trying to cut completly through the palstic was best otherwise cutter heats up and rewelds plastic...:banhead took me about two hours

there is another way to get to the insides but i didn't try it that is by heating up the whole assy. in an oven to soften the glue that holds the two halvs together but you will need to ask someone else about that.
next remove the original reflectors. i could not get them out in one piece i used pliers and broke them up into little pieces i would recomend some form of gloves during this as parts are made of compressed fiberglass itchy! itchy!

once you are done with this part spend a little time evening out the edge where you plan to re-assemble the lens no bumps gouges or un-eveness this will make it easier later...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
almost forgot ...Save these pieces from old reflectors if you plan to be able to adjust your new lights

once you are done you can move onto the next step ...figuring out how to mount the projectors what i have found is that making a plate to mount them to might be doable so long as the projectors can be mounted sepratley otherwise you will need to go a different route like i did i fabbed up some brackets from 1' alluminium angle i made first set then mirrored it for second light didn't take any pics of just the brackets sorry

there are pics of the plate in other threads here on this site there is also the option of using the mounting plate from a Euro Bike head light if you happen to have one sitting around
Once you have the projectors mounted time to Bling with CCFL tubes or fiber optics or whatever you choose or not after all it is your bike. since i used the CCFL that is what i will talk about...first thing i found out about CCFL is they are FRAGILE!!! i broke two in the process of getting them mounted. in the end i decided to use the plastic housings they came in and just cut the tabs off with my Dremelheres what they look like...Before...

After mounting...

at this point i will say it is starting to look like something to get the wires out of the housing i drilled two holes and used some gromets to reseal the holes.

this is where i decided to mount the inverter for the CCFL i used Velcro

almost done next step for me was to hook everything up on the bike to test fire all circuits BEFORE Gluing the lens back on...after you work out any bugs you are then ready to finish by gluing on the lens i used RTV adhesive silicone seems to be working fine i also would recomend comming up with a method to hold the lens in place while adhesive sets or you WILL be sorry...bolt everything back together and you're done...any questions???...???

1 - 2 of 2 Posts