TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I pickup a laptop Dell XPS M140 for 75.00

Previous owner wanted to sell it.

Manufactured in 05 and at that time she retailed for roughly 1199.00 bones.

Anyway this thing was hammered with viruses, and since it was registered to the previous owner I wiped it.

I looked around for stuff prior to wiping it. The previous owner had a bunch of pics on there of friends and love ones. Nothing bad though, slightly disappointed. :devious

She was heavy into R&B music Rap etc. not something I listen too or want my kids listing too. In hind site, I should have burn the info to a cd and asked her if she wanted it. I should have saved a copy of the music for myself.

But nothing in my mind was worth saving for my interest.

Anyways. That aside The battery was dead, no longer charged. New battery roughly $45.00 and a KB 19.00

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Good luck with it. I just switched out the HD on my 10 year old laptop. It's too bad the thing is in such good condition cause it's painfully slow.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Format it and reinstall windows.You also could change the hdd with a ssd.What are the specs?

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
In hind site, I should have burn the info to a cd and asked her if she wanted it.
Always a catch 22 situation that unless they have specifically asked you to.

If you give them a CD with the stuff on out of helpfulness they know you've been looking through it and when they remember the dodgy pics they saved it can be quite awkward :laugh

G

·
Good deal on that though. I still have, rather my ex has my XPS 1710 ... or 17 something, think its 1710. Still cranks though. Same thing just bigger screen I think 1920 x 1200 native res :devious

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
good score.

hdd content ....tough if they don't ask don't offer.

BTW before fromatting any drive go into the device manager and write down each device . its a must do when you go to reinstall device drivers. not every manufacturer has the drivers listed neatly for each model.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Specs roughly 1.7GHZ processor, 1GB Ram, DVD r\RW drive, 80GB HD drive.

Not a bad little PC.

I did not save the info which I wiped with DOD standards. This took 59 hours. :eek

Anyways, waiting for the new KB and battery.

HD wise it's ready to be used by the kids.

memory is upgradable to 2GB so if anyone has any old memory lying around for a laptop free let me know.

• Technology DDR2 SDRAM - 400.0
  • Memory specification compliance PC2-3200
  • RAM form factor SO DIMM 200-pin
PC2-4200 would probably work as well.

specs are.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell-xps-m140/4507-3121_7-31565934.html

Processor upgradable to Pentium 2.1GHZ 770m I believe.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
good score.

hdd content ....tough if they don't ask don't offer.

BTW before fromatting any drive go into the device manager and write down each device . its a must do when you go to reinstall device drivers. not every manufacturer has the drivers listed neatly for each model.
There's also a few apps you can get that will grab your drivers you are using and pack them up into a nice executable file for the reinstall. Haven't had a chance to actually use one yet, but I've seen them out there.

Also, on giving the stuff back to the owner, you run the risk of giving them their viruses back as well. :D

Now say it with me Del. Ooo Boon Too. That laptop should run great with that. :D I've got my sister's old Dell laptop that I revived and I'm using with it currently.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might install that on it later.

Right now I have WinXP Pro, sp3 worky :devious

I'll blow it away and do ubuntu If I decide to sell it later.

I have unbuntu on my Dell dimension 4550 which ran Xp pro just find. Ubuntu seems to bog it down according to the kids.

I have not looked at it myself yet.

·
14,150 Posts
If you want to play, no reason to blow it away. Dual boot is easy, use the wubi installer to put ubuntu on a dual boot setup. If you don't like it, wubi through windows will uninstall it too.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might look into that. In order to get the media direct button to work properly I'll have to re image anyways. However, I'm not worried about that one button right now.

Received the KB last night so that's done. Waiting on the battery now to complete it.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Battery received, wrong one. :banghead

Order the correct one again.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
received new battery but my power adapter is not charging it. :banghead

May have to buy an adapter. I'll look around first at work to see if we might have one.

score a 1GB ram stick for 15.00

Lappy now has 1.5GB of RAM.

and a new 9 cell battery which I can't charge.

·
14,150 Posts
See, I don't bother with old stuff like that. If I can get it to work with what I have, then cool, otherwise you keep adding up the money.

I had a broken laptop that I tried to restore. Ordered new hinges for the monitor since one was broken. Replaced easy. Keyboard wasn't working so I ordered a new keyboard only to find out it's an MB problem and common on that particular model. :banghead Thankfully I didn't order a new battery either.

Current junker I'm running works fine and uses mem scrapped from the above laptop but the battery doesn't charge. Fine with me as I'm always near an outlet when I'm playing with it.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
check the power supply with a multimeter I've had laptops that have a perfect power pack but the charging is from the mother board and that is a no go.
If you have the thing running then its likely the power pack is fine and its the mother board.
it may be time to draw a line in the sand .

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
First try the easy things, borrow another Dell power supply (the correct rating!). It happens quite often that they don't work, as example because of broken cables.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
It happens quite often that they don't work, as example because of broken cables.
it runs the laptop already

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yeah I know but I gotta try to be sure. I'll order another adapter and see what happens.

The adapter I have now is a Model PA-1650-05D PA-12 family, DP/N5U092

System bios does not report this adapter. Shows as Unknown adapter.

Possible the wrong one.

Edit Great news.

Located one. I tried that same model before which worked the Laptop but did not charge it.

For the first time the little battery light came on indicating she's charging.

I just check the bios and it registers now Ac Adapter 90W

The adapter I had was only 65 watt.

Project over with.

Now I can decide if I want to trade or not for the HP.

I had to make sure everything worked.

It's charged up already from 42% to 50%

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bios reported it charged up to 96% Windows indicated 100%

All is well.

Hmmm I could do better than that.