TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there can help? I bought a 98 TLR and change the oil to synthetic because it look as if it was not change ever, I never ride the bike with the old oil just started it up, took it out for the first time and having problem when I shift into 1st gear, it sound like the chain is locking up and it buck and stumbling, check the chain and it is not kink or binding. If I shift to any other gears it work fine. I pulled the clutch pack to see if they were worn out but everything look good. I change back to regular oil to see if that was the problem but the same thing is happening, when I change the old oil there was no metal filing in it, also check the oil when I change back to regular oil and no metal filing either. So don't think there is any broken or worn out gears, check around for new clutch kit but they are pretty costly at over $200 and don't want to buy something that is not the problem. I also check the clutch adjustment which engage and disengage with no problem.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by shifting into first?

If you get a decent clunk (and the bike wants to move forward) when you pull the clutch in and select 1st, then the clutch isn't disengaging properly. The hydraulic circuit probably needs need re-bleeding or something.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been a few years ago when I ask the questions, I had resolve the problem with my bike and here is what I found, the gear was fuzed to the drive gear shaft, which I change with the help of puppet.
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc513/PatManTLR/P1030743_zpsd1a7ee66.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc513/PatManTLR/P1030741_zpsfe947432.jpg

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Nice that you brought the thread to a conclusion :thumbup, even though a little late :laugh.

Now that we know what caused the symptoms you listed in the first post, this thread may help someone else diagnose a similar problem.

Did you just recently get the tranny fixed?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the tranny fix last winter, I couldn't get the pictures from my camara and then was having trouble loading them from photobucket to the site.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have no real idea how a gearbox works its magic so how does that cause the bike to be jerky .I would have thought if the 2 parts were fused together maybe it would be stuck in 1st . But like I said :confused.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It should have free movement but it was binding on the shaft. So every time it binds then free up from the torque of the engine rotation it cause the bike to stumble and shudder because it is on the output shaft, there are sliding gears which lock and unlock to other gear to change the gear ratio, look into the parts manual and it will show the gear set up. It was not a complete weld together it was binding really tight together just not letting it spin free enough as it should.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I purchase the bike it was a wreck because they laid it down on the right side. When Puppet and I pull the motor apart it had a piece of hard Tan colour plastic in the motor, that was wrap around one of the gear, It look like the plastic you see on some bearing to keep dirt out of the bearing, also the oil in the bike was pretty dirty and low as well. I figure it couldn't get any oil to the gear and cause it to overheat and bind up.

Are you having problem with your bike engine?

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
doing first gear burnouts most likely

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yep , exactly the same jerkiness you describe . Ring-in welded the ramp things which made it better but still jumping (not slipping ).
Bloody annoying as I can not get a road worthy ( I guess ) with a jumpy 1st gear though I'm sure I could " ride around " the problem till I saved up the dollars to fix it .

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully it is something less serious, but if it is not, it won't cost that much if you or someone you know can tackle it, I believe the gears cost me under $250, I also change out a few of the bearing inside the engine just because I am kind of a worry wart. It wasn't that hard to do either, I took the motor out of the bike and do it on my work bench with basic mechanic tools, if you use the repair manual and a good torque wrench and follow the direction you shouldn't have any problem, there seem to be lots more TL rider in Australia who you can draw assistance from. It only takes a few hours to take the motor out and have it separated, the longest part is waiting for the worn part to come in, too bad on the timing seeing as your riding season is starting. I would repair it as soon as possible so it don't cause any further damage.

Good luck keep us posted on the progress.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I'm going to put the tls's clutch plates and springs into the R just to make sure its not plate related . I take it the heads and barrel gaskets have to be replaced since they will be disturbed if its internal problem .. Ive pulled down a in-line four motor but not a v twin .

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hang on ,I could have this all wrong .Can you gain access to gearbox without removing heads or is it split vert. down the middle .
Time to read that part of the manual I normally flick over .
I'm attempting to remove clutch basket but looks as though another cover must be removed . It slides out a little then makes contact on the top left bracket .

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
get someone else like itsmesteve to ride it b4 you start changing things

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I put in the s clutch pack but no better so problem has to be internal . While I was "in there " I removed the clutch basket to check things .No missing teeth
Pity I can not see behind casing though I'm going to try .I believe 1st is on that shaft , i spins nice and smoothly . Trying to work out if parts are fused, if i would feel it by hand .
Need a camera on a stick or x-ray vision

I'm concerned what those black lines are to the left of the shaft .I imagine another shaft pins into the casing on the inside . What does that internal (mostly hidden, top left ) )
sprocket exactly do ,it is driven (or drives) onto the main shaft .(the problem area ?)

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
why not just rip the motor out and drop it off for me to repair

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That could well happen , im just checking what I can for something like a dry bearing ,lost tooth ect .
Manual is telling me ive got some things mixed up , but it will make sense in time .

·
Registered
53 Posts
I believe I have the same problem with my 2000 TLR. First gear jerks/bucks like crazy, all other gears are fine. What is the most cost effective/easiest way to correct the issue? What parts/gaskets are required to fix it? See this ebay link> https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/332505988691
Is it easier to just replace the one gear or is it easier to slap another set of gears/shaft on? If I do take this on I want to make sure I have everything on hand before I tear apart the motor

1 - 20 of 21 Posts