TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an argument with a co-worker and we are arguing the price of a Moto GP bike. Any ideas?

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
At a guess, 1.5 ~ 2 million

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
depends what you mean on cost

honda spent 100mil american or so "developing" the RCV when the rules changed to 4-strokes :O

but after that, the cost it actually takes to make the bike once they know what specs that want...2mil sounds about right

-:banana

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guessed about a million. He, who isn't really into bikes, said 150,000 and was in disbelief when I suggested 1mil. I knew someone would have an idea on here.

·
Registered
967 Posts
they do mention dollar figures on Faster... i just cant recall.... And what CrashTD mentioned also would have to be taken into consideration...good point.

Later

·
Registered
134 Posts
I read somewhere that it only costs 7.5 million us for rossi's M1.... im waiting for tax returns before i get mine

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
You used to be able to pick up a privateer superbike for about 150k.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
You'd be mad stupid to pay $150K for a superbike though. You could buy the same bike that Chris Vermulen was coming in 3rd consistantly on for about $37k. Which was insane that he could come in 3rd against the big boys with that cheap of a bike. Wish he was doing more in MotoGP....I figure his time is coming.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I'm talking a duc privateer when the 750 i4s were around. And because HE can do that on a cheap bike means HE'D be mad stupid to pay 150k. We're talking what you'd have to pay to get a competitive bike in the class, not what you could get by with if you had crazy skills. I'd need to pour every last dollar in to try and make up for my lack of ability. I bet Rossi could still do OK without a front wheel. Doesn't mean I'm stupid to buy a bike with one.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I remember for the Honda it was One Million Dollars, and that was just lease it for the season. At the end it goes back to the factory. Pretty steep. I wonder if they had mileagle clause in there like a normal car lease?

Anyway, it'd be 'spensive.

C

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
They're not MotoGP bikes though.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
CMonkee said:
I remember for the Honda it was One Million Dollars, and that was just lease it for the season. At the end it goes back to the factory.
I wonder if that was per bike....ie, two mil for a setup with race bike and backup bike, or was that a package deal for one million. :O

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
www.motoczysz.com

supposdly starting at 100,000
this is a private bike make. Figure Honda in at 2.5
I have an article for the old Rc51 hayden raced and the whole setup was less than the frame for the indy car that turned faster laps than the bike.

I would say under a mil to outright buy a bike to go race on kinda like KR is doing. To build a bike, I wouldnt want to guess.

J

·
0 Posts
If you count the experts making it, it has to be pretty high number, but if you are counting just the parts, it's probably not that much.

Like if you had all the CAD dravings for the engine and stuff, you could probably make it quite cheap.

Like Honda has been building lot of moto gp bikes to the almoust the same spec for awhile. I think they can make it pretty cheap. They can make 1000rr's for 10thou, so probably 50times that is probably even over what it's actually costing. 500000$, if honda would start to mass product motogp bikes, they could probably sell it for 50000$?

The development is the thing that is costly.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I read it in an article in a MC mag, and it was per bike.

As far as the other stuff goes, yeah I'd say it's all in the development not the actual parts to build it. They may not sell GP bikes straight off the floor, but lucky for us there's the trickle down theory. I mean look at our TL's, 15 years ago what would it have cost to get magneium valve covers? Now you can purchase ceramic coating bearings and other things, that as computers and CAD keeps developing, our (humans) ability to use materials that were probably used to make rockets and satellites but all but impossible to get for the average public. Hell, Carbon Fiber alone, was one of those, WOW!, things that came out, now it's an everyday thing. From bikes to my gloves.

Are there any privateers in GP racing? Seems like there'd be no point since the bikes are used to test technology and parts that will eventually make it into production bikes. I thought the privateers were just in AMA.

Oh well.

C

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
For a few years before the 4-stroke take-over Rising Sun was selling NSR500's for ~$120k with full spares kit and manuals.

And yes, measuring cost is very tricky business, especially when you have huge R&D and low production volumn and no real commercial sales. The DoD literally has thousands of people (including me) trying to figure this stuff out for its development and procurement programs.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
i think we should stop talking about r&d. a bmw car costs billions to make the first one, but we arnt paying that. off the shelf (we wish) is what i think we should be talking about.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
BikePilot said:
For a few years before the 4-stroke take-over Rising Sun was selling NSR500's for ~$120k with full spares kit and manuals.
They were the uncompetitive 2 cylinder 500's weren't they? Honda was doing it's part in trying to boost the grid numbers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts