TLZone Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what paint would you use on the pressure plate if any at all ? i don't want it flaking off!!

would hammerite be ok (rustoleum for the $ people) ?

i know powdercoat would be best, but i wanted a DIY job. all black, with the centre and ribs polished.

:)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
If it were me, I'd try to find a local annodizer rather than powder coating or paint I think. Other than that I'm no help, but whatever you do it needs to be happy sitting in hot oil. I'd guess typical oil temps are in the 200 deg F range and the pressure plate will no doubt get much hotter when using the clutch.

good luck

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
with anodizing you wouldn't have to worry about masking things of either i suppose.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
if you can get it bead blasted and clean, any good quality paint should stick.

anodized is better, nothing to flake off.

and I know you have a clear clutch cover so you could watch it and see if any problem is developing and put a stop to it before it gets worse.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
anodise it talk to dave walch at
Anodisers Runcorn Ltd
121 Percival Lane
Runcorn
WA7 4UY(Road Map)
Cheshire
Tel: 01928 574681
Fax: 01928 577790
www.anodisersruncorn.com

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
with anodizing you wouldn't have to worry about masking things of either i suppose.
Yep, you'd annoidize the whole thing, it won't change the thickness anywhere and will make the surface harder which is a good thing. In MX its typical to replace the stock cast pressure plate and baskets with annodized billet items for increased wear resistance and better clutch feel (the clutch is used a lot more in MX than street).

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
POR 15 for paint, just make sure you sand/bead blast the intended surface.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
anodise it talk to dave walch at
Anodisers Runcorn Ltd
121 Percival Lane
Runcorn
WA7 4UY(Road Map)
Cheshire
Tel: 01928 574681
Fax: 01928 577790
www.anodisersruncorn.com
i'll give 'em a ring tomorrow! ta very much! :thumbup

15ish miles away they are - doesn't seem that far though. used to work not far from there too!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bollocks!! wrong bleedin' log in again!!! :banghead

should have been me! :laugh

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
hes done some stuff for me over the years rims and such on the motorcross bikes and a few bits i had done for the tlr a few years ago "cash" rules :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Powdercoat it if you have a local place to go to easy. If you sandblast it the paint should sick just fine.
I powdercoated mine.:devious

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maynard - your plate when i've seen it previously is the reason why i'm doing it black!! with the polished bits just to add a bit more.

i also have blue retainers (not copying though!!) :laugh

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just took the pressure plate to be anodized black today.

i'll go an' pick it up on friday and polish the rib and centre bits

normal minimum charge £35+VAT (or £5 cash!!:laugh)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
lol :) runcorn ?

·
Registered
871 Posts
i'm with bikepilot you don't want to take a chance of chipping paint plus anodizing will look much better!:)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yep, runcorn!
i noticed there's 2 scrapyards near there too - i'll be back with tools!!!

i'm with bikepilot you don't want to take a chance of chipping paint plus anodizing will look much better!:)
the anodising won't look that good close up as the plate isn't mirror polished or totally smooth. i've polished it a bit, but it will have a slightly rough look to it. i'm not bothered as it will not really be noticable through the cover. +1 on the 'no chip' finish though!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
yeh dave up there is a pritty stand up guynever had any isues with him and his stuff looks good too :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.