TLZone Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with a guy who is selling his 00 TLR pretty cheap. The good news, new tires, extra set of fiberglass? race farings, newly rebuilt forks and by the one pic I saw it is in good shape, the faster blue color, and totally unmolested.The bad, no exhaust, no ecu, no radiators and no title in hand. He said he bought the bike from a guy going thru a divorce and the dude flaked out and never delivered the title as promised, which makes me wonder:dowhat, but I believe its fairly easy to get a title here in Missouri plus he said it wasn't salvaged or stolen which I could run the vin to find out. I would love to have this as a project bike and I guess worst case scenerio would be to part it out. The best part is he only wants $1200 for it :devious
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I would do a VIN search first. Find out all you can worse cAse you could get hit with posession of stolen property.

Best case is you get it and all the parts you need can be found pretty easily!

:cheers

·
Registered
676 Posts
Confucious says that If it seems to good to be true, it usually is:O

·
Registered
380 Posts
Confucious says that If it seems to good to be true, it usually is:O
+1 ... usually.

It does seem like prices on used bikes have dropped a TON since summer because of seasons changing and people fearful of spending on luxury items during economic uncertainty. My buddy was going to try and flip a '02 CBR F4i for $4500 on Craigslist, until he noticed that some people are so desperate that they're selling '06 models for less than that.

I guess you're really taking your chances buying it with no title, you had better have the guy sign something saying that he agrees to sell that bike with that VIN to you, otherwise you might find yourself in serious ****.

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
Under the circumstances and with no title I wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think if you check the VIN and everything comes back clean you should have no problem. I bought a 76 Cadillac with no Title in Illinois with no title all I did was check the VIN and apply for lost title. Got it 6 weeks later with no issues.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes Confucious is right :laugh. I went to look at the bike yesterday and was pretty disapointed. The bike was missing alot more then what he had said and what there was of it was in crappy condition except for the wheels.
I thought about buying it and parting it out but most of the parts are in such bad shape I wouldn't feel right about trying to sell them and all in all it would probably be more trouble than its worth.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Run...Run very fast....unless you don't mind loosing your money...I work for a dealership and don't believe that it's easy to get a title.....it is NOT easy....nearly impossible.....first of all you would need a title search done....then let's say I show up as last owner 4 years ago....you have to trace "me" down and then convince me to give up ownership on a bike that I can say was Ummmmmm stolen.....then I get the bike back and guess what .....you are out that too good to be true $1200.....unless you only want it for parts or for a track bike.....take my opening words very seriously......or just send me $1000....that extra $200 chulk it up to 'me saving your some money'....so go head and Thank me now.........ummmm I am waiting!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts