1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I went to adjust the fork compression and the RH
adjustment screw will only click once in either direction
before binding up as if some debris jammed it.
Has anyone had this happen, and what was the remedy.
Feeling slim , I love this bike....period.
:dowhat :dowhat :dowhat

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Sounds like you figured it out IMO. Try some WD40 around the outside of the adjuster first to see if some of that desert sand got wedged in there first. My guess it is internal though.

Pull the fork apart & clean up the internals. On one of my regular fork services I pulled everything apart & cleaned things out using a pressurized solvent. When I put it the forks back together I could tell something was wrong with the damping, especially on the compression side on one fork leg. Pulled the one fork apart again & cleaned it up & checked the fork oil level or if anything was amiss. Looked good to me so I reassembled the fork & found the same issue.

Argh.

It's not like I haven't done this stuff a few dozen times without issue so I handed the one weird fork leg to Race Tech to have them take a look. Looks like I shoved some metal shavings way up one of the comp damping orifices blocking the passageway. Learned a lesson from that one - I wasn't paying too much attention to what was in the passageways when I was cleaning things up. I just shot away & looked in the passageways when I was done. It looked good to me so I reassembled things. Won't do that one again. If you have access to a air compressor get some air pressure to help you blow the passageways clear - in my case a few weird shaped metal shavings really got wedged in there & a spray bottle of solvent wasn't enough pressure to get them out of there.

Should help Mr. Kamakazi,

...into spud song.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
If someone has changed springs, or seals or serviced your forks, someone could have improperly set the height of the rebound rod. When you are assembling the fork cap onto the rebound rod, you need to set the proper, measured, distance between the nut and top of the rod so the the rebound adjusters will be the same.

Odds are if someone worked on it, this is your problem.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Nope, sorry, looks like I am a moron, he said compression, that would affect rebound. If both bound up after one click did you try turning them all the way out? Try that should be 10 to 14 clicks or so total. Oh yeah, and remember R's click S's don't

·
Registered
566 Posts
i have all internal pieces for TLR forks if you need anything. also have spare tlr fork preload adjusters. drop me an email if you end up needing anything. good luck.

[email protected]

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Raleigh, do you have TLR cartridges? And springs? Do you want to be my friend?:devious

·
Registered
566 Posts
Doug;

of course i do. i believe i have 4 tlr springs and 4 cartridges. 1 cartridge may have damage( i have not removed it yet so i am not certain). PM me or email me with what you can use and it is yours.

rb
[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts