TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas,

with all these birthdays on the zone lately, i remebered an old question in math class.

How many people have to be together in a group, in order to have a bigger chance of birthdays falling together, than the chance of having all unique birthdays?

In other words, how many people should there be so that it is LESS likely to have a unique birthday than one together with another member of the same group? :)

All of those who had statistical math in their early days, break out the calculators! :laugh

cheers, jan

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,857 Posts
Doesn't the hemisphere, season and fathers birthday come into it as well? :laugh

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,857 Posts
More babies are born on Mondays and Tuesdays and spring time is popular. But 60 peeps will give a 99% chance of two being on the same day.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
I don't think there is enough information to accurately answer the question.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
deltl1ks said:
I don't think there is enough information to accurately answer the question.
:laugh :laugh

steve, it is the same down under, hemisphere doesn't do anything (this time :laugh )

tlspork, might want to explain how you got that number? :devious

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I actually knew it was 30. But I can't tell you why. I just happen to remember that little nugget of information from my seventh grade math class.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
doesent matter since I would nail all the chicks in that group anyway :yes

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
what is your definition of a "birthday"? questions like that came up everyday in my stats class, (only 12 people). But they were usually about baseball as a joke.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
crashtd said:
i've heard this before, its a rediculously low number 21 or 23 i believe. :O

-:banana

Even after the answer (30) was posted twice, good 'ol crash comes through with 2 wrong answers!:laugh :laugh :hail :hail

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i always thought 30 was trhe correct answer too...but on that site it says 23...

10 years ago, i could calculate it, but now i am too old (read lazy and too many braincells killed by beer) to do it :laugh

i got another one though :devious

say your tilis does easily 200mph, and you do a return trip of 100 miles (so 2x100miles). There is however a strong wind blowing in your favor on the first stint, and the same wind hassling you on the return. The wind has an equal amount of positive and negative effect on your speed (say, 220 mph going, and 180mph returning)

Would your average speed be higher, lower or equal to 200mph when you get back home? :devious

in any case, you had a blast :laugh

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
depends are all 100 miles in the same state or do you cross state borders and is it holiday with higher gas prices or mid week with lower and whats he average temp of the day:laugh

1 - 20 of 24 Posts