TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone any idea what could make my fuel consumption go thru the roof?
I only got 75 miles before the warning light and 10 miles before it was permanently lit!

I normally get 110 – 120 miles before the light starts flashing and easy 20 miles on top of that before a solid lit light.

Could damp/water getting in the ECU connector cause this?
Should I flash the ECU with my Joe box back to std settings?
:O

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Does your bike stay warm (say above 176°F) when riding? Running too cold and kill fuel mileage as can low tire pressure or even a nasty chain or clogged air filter.

good luck

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
does it run fine othere than this..try disconnecting the power commander if you have one. is it dirty/stuck open injector?,it can be anything that means you are using more throttle..sticky brakes..a lack of power from the motor will result in more throttle to acheive/maintain the same speed, is the air filter clean and not wet or really dirty. weak spark? .:O

I am kind of guessing but these kind of things are where I would look first..

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Na Phil, was out last night just playing, nothing too hard, no WOT, but just washed bike so mebys water somewhere. Nearly ran out of petrol. Was bricking it as I didn't fancy the push home!
Brakes are fine as is everything else I can check.
Might need to bring a jerry can with me at the weekend!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
might try running some injector cleaner with the next tank of fuel....just remember not to add FULL container and adjust the ammount you do add by total fuel volume in the tank....most of the containers are for 15 gal mix in car gas tank

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whats the capacity of a TLS tank?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
4.6 US gal as stated in the manual. I've put in 4.65 before and the bike was running when I pulled into the station.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
mine has speedo healer and i get 90 corrected miles before the light comes on and always needs 3.4-3.5 U.S. gallons at that point never run it dry so i don't really know...even when i had the fuel pump leaking i poured remaining fuel into 1.5 gal. gas can and then back into tank after fixed...i would say 4.5 is accurate...???...

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't think that I've ever put more than 3.5-3.7 gallons and that was with the light ON (not blinking)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
My light comes on after about 3.4 gallons are used, then goes solid after about 3.7 gallons are used. I usually figure on 40 safe miles after the light starts blinking as I have been averageing 40mpg for most of the summer.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BikePilot said:
4.6 US gal as stated in the manual. I've put in 4.65 before and the bike was running when I pulled into the station.
Sorry but what's that in real money? (UK Gall, Litres):coocoo

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Your poor average is my good average, and my bike is basically stock. Mine is due to a lot of city driving. When I do long hauls on the freeway, I use lower RPM's and steadier so the mileage jumps about 10 mpg.

Anything different from normal use? Different gas? Different routes? There's so many things that could affect this, it's hard to diagnose without more info. I'd run a few more tanks, keeping track, and get the average now. If it stays as low as you think, then I'd start looking at things like oil levels, tire pressure, etc.

Good luck,

C

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Chats said:
Sorry but what's that in real money? (UK Gall, Litres):coocoo
gotta love google converter
4.6 us gal = 17.4128943 liter

·
Registered
93 Posts
i,m constantly getting 140-150 miles before light starts to flash...and thats with scorpion cans and k&n filter:) .......and i dont ride slow either!!..as for tank capacity uk bikes are 17 litres

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I can get 150 miles out of a tank commuting, but it's a stretch. I've seen 175 on a trip, stock gearing, riding slow in the rain with worn tire.

probably 10-20% less on fun rides though.

·
Registered
220 Posts
From the TLR owners manual :
17 Litre tank
When the fuel level drops below 3.7L/1Gal the light flickers.
When the fuel level drops below 2.8L/0.7Gal the light stays on.

In my experience though this does seem to be right. 17-3= 14, when the light starts to stay on, I can usually get in 13-14 litres.

I have found that (recently) when the tank only has 2-3 litres or so left, the engine dies under heavy braking. Anyone else have this? Dirty fuel filter?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
might even be some moisture in the tank ...i would replace filter and run a little de-natured alcohol maybe 1/4 cup to full tank of gas this will alow any moisture in the tank to mix with fuel and be consumed with regular use

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just an update. During the ride out on Sunday, petrol consumption returned back to normal'ish. Hopefully the problem was a 1 off.
Thanks for help.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.