TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short story.

One of the NCO's in the battalion buys his very first sportbike. Got to be a Gixxer 1k cuz they are the baddest bikes out there (two of his buds, whom I consider semi-squids, tried to talk him out of it). He trailers and stores the bike in the garage of his two aforementioned pals for about 2 weeks before he finally gets the wild hair up his butt to take it for a spin. He gets on bike, pulls back throttle and bins bike. Roughly $7,800 worth of damage with .5 miles on the odometer. sucks for him.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:spit

Hope he wasn't hurt badly.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
That's to bad. I hope he hurt himself just enough to remember this.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
And the vultures are circling already.

What's left? Look like a good bike for a rebuild?

I'm with Octofinger. Hope he is ok, but learned a lesson.

Listen to your buds....sometimes they might actually know what they are talking about.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
.5 miles before binning it. That has to be a new world record. The engine was probably not even warm yet. Sounds like great track bike material :devious

God, people are stupid...

·
14,150 Posts
I have a friend who owns a dealership. I swung by to get my tires changed back in 02 and there's a brand new Red GSX-R750 parked out front. I asked him if the other guy in the shop talking to one of the sales guys was buying it. He pulls me aside and tells me that the guy is picking it up for the second time.

When they give you the bike at the entrance to the garage, there's a ramp that goes down to the parking lot, right turn at the bottom of the ramp and follow parking lot out. Well they are going over the various controls with him and all he can do is sit there blipping the throttle not paying a lick of attention. They finally tell him to have fun and ride safe.

He pins the throttle and dumps the clutch, bike shoots like a rocket down the ramp and as he tries to turn he dumps it into the chain link fence at the edge of the lot. Mechanics help him up, roll bike back into the garage and started doing an estimate.

I did poorly as a total ignorant noob on my first outing on my first bike, and yes I dropped it on my first run, but damn, I had some throttle respect. :coocoo

·
Registered
433 Posts
folks like that helps the salvage/recycle parts business going

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Thats rough -had a guy get killed over here at xcaliber power sports. Was taking his cruiser off the lot and smashed it into the bucket of a bucket loader at the other end of the lot.

Why do people just hop on and try to go because it looks easy?

I guess I did it too -14 years old and my dad brought home a gs750 shaft drive. I took it out when he had a few too many. I tried to ride it in the grass like it was my dirt bike :lol -went down twice in the grass but when I got out on the street I was absolutely flying = no brains. I remember how imressed I was that 120lb me could get to 80 in just a few seconds.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I was workin there that day chuck...nasty stuff

only it wasnt a loader...he hit the curb, flew off the bike and came down and smacked his head square into the top right corner of the GMs snowplow :banghead

the salesman told him not to go anywhere either...they went in to get his paperwork and stuff, he just decided he was going to start it and take it for a rip around the lot...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gixxerjasen said:
I have a friend who owns a dealership. I swung by to get my tires changed back in 02 and there's a brand new Red GSX-R750 parked out front. I asked him if the other guy in the shop talking to one of the sales guys was buying it. He pulls me aside and tells me that the guy is picking it up for the second time.

When they give you the bike at the entrance to the garage, there's a ramp that goes down to the parking lot, right turn at the bottom of the ramp and follow parking lot out. Well they are going over the various controls with him and all he can do is sit there blipping the throttle not paying a lick of attention. They finally tell him to have fun and ride safe.

He pins the throttle and dumps the clutch, bike shoots like a rocket down the ramp and as he tries to turn he dumps it into the chain link fence at the edge of the lot. Mechanics help him up, roll bike back into the garage and started doing an estimate.

I did poorly as a total ignorant noob on my first outing on my first bike, and yes I dropped it on my first run, but damn, I had some throttle respect. :coocoo

Basically what this guy did. Took off from the driveway like a rocketship. Hit a very large bump at the bottom of the driveway while attempting a 90 degree right hand turn. Ended up across the street in the neighbors porch. He's okay but bruised up enough to remember that it's okay to start off on a 250.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
missinlinc said:
:grrr Well it not the fastest anymore, now that it's totalled!!
...maybe he meant he wanted the fastest totaled bike out there:banghead...

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
If it wasn't for guys like this, I wouldn't have my bikes.
I bought both my bikes totalled by noobs like the ones you guys are describing.
The TL had 700 miles on it when I bought it totalled. So I guess the kid did better than .5 but still.......
It is scary how many people think they can just hop on, twist the throttle and go.

·
Registered
363 Posts
the old saying is true fellas....

To be old and wise, one must be young and stupid first.

...some of us make it. :devious :laugh
even so, i still have my moments...usually the other persons fault now though.

I used to work at a dealer way back (93-94)and would talk kids/guys out of buying anything over a 600(sportbike) for a first bike, and we all know, for a first bike, thats too much. one guys first bike was a Vmax. :coocoo

oh well...such as life.

·
14,150 Posts
Yup, the ole bag of luck/bag of experience thing. Damn my bag was damn empty when I started. Lucky for me I got to start with a tiny bag of smarts and a tiny bag of advice from friends. :coocoo It's wise to not forget those two bags.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Wow this totally kills my theory that a GSXR 1000 makes the perfect first sport bike. :banghead
I hope his pride is the only thing that got hurt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts