Votes: 18 50.0%
  • NEVER

Votes: 8 22.2%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to mix match different brand tires front and rear? will it affect anything terribly? My back tire is getting down there and I don't know if ill be able to afford the matching brand when it comes time.

·
Registered
596 Posts
i have M3 on front an Qualifier on the back... not by choice. when I get the opportunity I will have a M3 on the back as well. I needed a quick tire before a long ride an... beggar couldn't be a chooser an had to take the Qualifier

·
Registered
601 Posts
probably okay for street, but I wouldn't do it if it could be avoided.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'm pretty sure that mismatched tires will definately mess with your bikes overall handling but wouldn't make it unsafe in any way. I voted no but would suggest that you pony up the extra $$ or replace the front to match the new rear in the near future.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I voted no because i don't do it. However, tires are all made of rubber and there is nothing stopping you from picking a rear from one manufacturer because you like how it feels and then picking another brand front for the same reason.... Just use what you like, every tire will feel different to another.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
These days with most tires being radial construction I don't think it would be terribly unsafe...back when bias plys were more common, mixing radial plys and bias plys could lead to some dangerous instability.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I reckon your safer matching different tires from the same manufacturer, especially if they are previous / current models. At the moment I have a Bridgestone BT-014 on the front and a BT-016 on the back. Not my choice but the bike came like that so I'll change them for matched when they wear out. Have to say though no drama's do far they seem fine ? :O

·
Registered
463 Posts
as far as i understand it, its the profile not so much the rubber compound that matters i personally would never do it, as for being a cost issue tyres brakes and riding gear are in my opinion something that should never be compromised as your life could depend on them, im sure your life is worth the extra cost, a friend once said to me if you have a £5 head wear a £5 helmet same applies to tyres as far as i see it

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I've done it before and even with the same brand tires the handling just felt a bit off. I don't recommend it. Front tires are quite important, I would spend the $$ for a fresh one.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Only if both tires are same brand and similar profiles i.e. Pilot Power and Pilot Road... as a rule never diferent brands

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ultimately, I think it's best to have matched FR & R (especially if you do majority track days &/or aggressive street riding), but I don't have any problem running different brands as long as they're a similar compound (am doing so right now, actually). Especially for "normal" street or commuting, where you're not pushing the bike 90+% all the time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i dont recommend it, i think its makes th bike handle like a giraffe on skates, when i bought mine off posh jonny it had miss matched tyres on and it was terrible.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Not sure about mixing brands, but I do have Pilot Powers 2ct on the front of my sv, and the road 2 on the rear, seems good on the street, haven't done any track time on them. Actually got the idea from somebody on an sv forum when researching tire brands and types for the new rubber, plenty of folks had raved about the combo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts