TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, go ahead and get all the jokes out of the way, you know you want to make some snappy chuckle headed, wackerjawed quip....

but when ya'll are finished cuttin up capers and actin' fresh...

do any of you actually clean off the bugs, wash the liner, and carnuba wax your lid?

I know years back they told you to do nothing other then soap and water...

but todays helmets can take a little more astringent cleaning agents then that... RIGHT?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have a small towel that I've labeled with a Sharpie as "HELMET" so that I never use it for anything else. After a nice juicy, bug-filled ride I soak the towel in water, wring it out and then drape it over the front of the helmet to moisten any of the dried bits. After a 30 minute soak or so I flip the towel over to the clean side and wipe it off. Good as new without any chemicals. I always store it inside on a shelf with the visor partially open to let it air out and I have never had to wash the inner liner.

Uhhh, he said polish your helmet. :laugh

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...a littel fabreeze also goes a long way in the liner...

·
Registered
790 Posts
I always use honda polish on the exterior and even the visor. good stuff. :thumbup I use it on damn near everything.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
For getting rid of the funky smell....stick it in the freezer overnight. It'll kill the bacteria that are causing the smell.

I do the wet towel thing with both the windscreen and my helmet. I use hot water and only like a five minute soak is all that's needed.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Unscented baby wipes...work well and store under the seat for those long runs.cover with a warm wet cloth for a few mins first to soften the stubborn splats...

T

·
0 Posts
mystahagy said:
I always use honda polish on the exterior and even the visor. good stuff. :thumbup I use it on damn near everything.

:stupid :thumbup

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
hmm have try the freezer bit. I know a few guys that do an annual stick it in the dishwasher by itself and clean theirs, but I just cant bring myself to do it:laugh

I use furniture polish on mine before I store it. Stopped using honda and plexus a long time ago. Good stuff, but youll get the same result with some unscented FP.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
You can use about anything on the outside of the shell that's safe for paint, but you don't want any strong detergants to come into contact with the styrofoam on the inside as its easily affected (or so I've read) by lots of stuff and is what provides impact absorption.

I generally use a wet cloth to clean bugs and stuff. If I'm feeling really spiffy I'll use some auto polish on the shell and rain-x on the visor. I have a removeable liner so I take it out and wash in the sink or put it in the dishwasher. It would be a bad idea to put the whole helmet in the dishwasher as the styrofoam isn't supposed to be exposed to those cleaners or heat.

have fun

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
TLstreak said:
hmm have try the freezer bit.
It'll get a little condensation on and in it when you take it out, just let it air dry. You'll notice a big difference if the helmet is smelly. Ours down here in texas can be sopping wet on the inside from the sweat by the midpoint of a good July/August track day.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
the "helmet polishers" at work do 5000 + helmets a year. they use pledge!

A

·
0 Posts
I used the dishwasher method. Just make sure to set the dishwasher for a non hot wash and make sure the heated dry is off. I didn't use any soap when I did it and it came out with zero smell. I let it dry completely and then sprayed the inside with febreeze to give it a nice fresh smell. I agree that not putting soap in is a good idea. You can also take a shower with it but I haven't tried that one yet.

·
Registered
871 Posts
i have been able to polish my helmet since the crash on 9/04/06

1 - 15 of 15 Posts