TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever tried to polish the stock black Tokico's on a TLS? I was thinking about a Dremel and a wire brush to bring out the aluminum underneath the paint.
New Galfer lines on the way but I don't think I want to paint the calipers to go with one of their coloured sleeves. Clear sleeve on the lines and natural aluminum for the calipers seems like a solid idea though.
Any thoughts?
Winter's here in Ontario so if I can't ride it, I've got to work on it...

Ride safe

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
Try it! If you don't like the way they look, you can either polish them or paint them again. Sounds like you have some time to get the look you're after. I've seen chromed calipers, but not natural one yet.

·
Registered
790 Posts
That sounds like it'll look pretty good. However, I would try to be careful and not get too aggressive with that wire brush on the aluminum. After giving it the wire wheel, if you end up deciding to polish and you've made deep scratches, it'll be a biatch of a time polishing all that out.

Personally I would use a chemical stripper VERY carefully on just the exterior to remove the paint. Brush it on very precisely and don't get it on your hands. Aircraft stripper works great and you can even get it in a "gel". Wash it clean, and then you can attack it with either the wire wheel or the polishing wheel on your dremel to achieve what you want with minimal effort.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I don't know whether there's any harder anodized layer under the paint or anything... You'd need to use more than a wire brush to get them to look polished. It can be done, you see them on eBay periodically. But don't get any abrasive into the piston area, brke dust is bad enough. Ideally you should disassemble them, sand the halves, then polish the halves with at least a 5-horepower buffer, then clean them in a solvent tank, blow them out, and reassemble them with new seals. I polish at home with a 2-horsepower buffer and it's a pain in the ass. The pro I take stuff to got rid of his smaller polishers and uses these big 15-horsepower stands with an enormous 3-phase motor; he's always getting rid of the smaller ones and getting bigger ones. But once upon a time I accomplished a lot with just a 1.5 HP grinder converted into a polisher. If you have patience, you can use sandpaper and after 800 and emory you can hand-polish, so anything is possible. But it's certainly not worth my time anymore.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Here is a pic with the face polished. The body is still painted. At this point I am considering painting the black body gold or just selling them. Keep in mind that brake dust can do nasty things to raw aluminum if you don't keep it clean.

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
Have them powder coated chrome!!!!

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
Eastwood is great but columbia has the Bling Blingest Chrome or your money back.

:yes

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What an excellent group! I thought I'd be lucky if I got one or two responses... I think I've found my home for the off season!

You've all brought up some good points... I probably need to put some more thought into this before I start whizzin' away with the Dremel. Polished aluminum is nice. Pitted, corroded, brake-dust-stained aluminum is not so much.
Maybe try the underside of the rear first... ;-)
Will follow up if it works.

Thanks all for the input

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have my back caliper polished.Do not us a wire wheel.You will be buying new calipers if you do.They dig in and leave very deep scratches that will never come out.The best place to buy polishing supplies is TARHEEL parts.they are out of north carolina.They have every thing you need and will provide some very useful info.There is no need to waste time with sanding aove 320 the compound they selll works awesome,thats right 320 grit.They have some small buffing tools for the tight spots on the calipers.Check out my pictures most of this bike is polished.If it is polished right, it is very easy to maintain.Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts