TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know anything about the Samsung NV series point/shoot jobs? I've been thinking of picking up a cheapo camera one of these days and those look pretty nice, some models have around 8 megapix for ~$100-150. I've had Samsung phones and monitors and have been really pleased, so I'm hoping the cameras are good too.:O

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I think the body looks really cool imho. The reviews I read on the camera weren't great, but I don't remember now what it was they complained of and I'm never sure how much stock to put in reviews anyway.

Pilette has a sony W80 (~$175) and it works really well so long as you don't let the iso go above 200 (true for most point and shoots). Optical image stabilization works amazingly well, whatever you get, that would be one feature high on my priority list. Only downside is battery life isn't great - good for about 100 shots if you use the flash and IS the whole time, but spare batteries aren't too expensive and they are really small so she just carries and extra with her. Using the flash say half the time or so (and stilll the is all the time) its good for about 130 shots.

I played with a panasonic TZ-3 and LX2 in the local camera store. Both are a tad big to fit in a jean pocket, but also easier to hold than really little cameras. The TZ3 has a 10x zoom which is pretty cool and the lx2 has full manual controls and a wide screen sensor. the TZ3 goes for a little over 200 and the lx2 is about 400 though.

For what its worth the camera guy at the local store (who seems to really know his stuff) says the little panasonics have the best lenses of all the p and s cams out now.

When I was looking, the cheapest point (that I found) and shoot that had full manual controls was the pentax A30.

Anyway, I have a samsung monitor and cell phone too and like them both quite well:)

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
samsung make some good stuff, I have always been a pentax fan (dslr) and samsung have their name on a dslr which is identical to pentax but just using the sansung name so they must be pretty good ! Samsung have some good ph cameras coming out soon , way better than the rest. Sorry this doesnt answer your question :laugh

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Just curious how big of prints are you planning on printing from your point and shoot. 8MP is totally overkill for a P&S camera and should not be your selling point. I have a beautiful 18X24 up on my wall from a 6MP that I cropped.

Pay attention to the other features that you'll probably need. Optical zoom, camera speed (how long to take a pic from when you push the button) metering and flash use and quality of the shot.

I recently had to shop for a P&S camera. We were leaning towards the Nikon's and Casio's. I tried out the Canon SD1000 for grins and was pretty blown away with the picture quality out of it. I've had to try really hard to get this camera to take technically bad photos. Yea, if I take a picture of my dog's butt, it sucks, but the lighting and focus will be really good.

Try out some cameras, pay attention to the features that matter and read some reviews.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, that was one of my qestions really. They have several models, some with large CCD and smaller lens like 10MP and 3x optical zoom vs 7.2 MP and 5-7x optical zoom. Being more of an optics guy than a camera guy (I don't care for fancy electronic features), I naturally lean towards the better optics lesser electronics.

Any Nikon or Canon recommendations for 100-150?

I probably won't be printing anything, I'm looking for something a can whip out of the tankbag quickly, snap a pic with gloves and helmet still on, then get moving again. Got 2 get mah rizide report on!:pirate

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I just bought a used panasonic LX1 on ebay for 160 (same camera as the leica d-lux2). I'll let ya know how it works. Its got a big, fat (well for a pocket cam) Leica lens that I couldn't resist and a true 16:9 sensor.

I agree with the megapix thing. Its mostly a marketing gimic on little cameras because they actual resolution produced will not be all that great due to the quality of the optics, noise and noise reduction. So a 6mp cam and a 10mp cam will likely produce the same amount of detail.

In general bigger sensors are better, for compact cameras you typically have either a 1/2.5" or a 1/1.8" or a 1/1.6". Most are the 1/2.5 but the panasonic lx1 and lx2 and pentax A30 are 1/1.6 I think, which all else equal should give less noise and a bit more detail.

I've used the canon SD1000 Jasen suggested, my dad has two of them and loves them. Its a fine camera that focuses fast and accurately and almost always exposes properly. Its about $150. Only downside is no image stabilization and no manual controls. For $50 more the pentax A30 gets you both those things and a bigger sensor, but that would only matter really if you like using manual controls and the IS really is only needed for slow shutter speeds (low light). Pilette has a sony W80 which has IS and I think cost 170. It takes pretty good pics.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Oh, forgot to say, I find it really hard to use ultra-compacts with gloves on. They are just so small they are hard to hold. For pics while riding, something with a little bit of a grip is a big plus imho. Check out the canon A series. The 570 has IS and is well within your price range. Also, it uses AA's so if the batteries die on the road, buy some chepo alklines at a gas station and your in biz. Plunk in an 8gb sdhc card and take pics for a week;)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120194

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
See my post in Duken's battery thread regarding cameras with AA batteries. Sometimes a camera is a tad more expensive, but you get a much better battery.

Unfortunately the SD1000 is a tad more than $150 as it can be had on sale for $180 and usually retails for $200. But it's definately got the bang for the buck. I don't care about manual controls on a P&S because I just use it for something easy to take with me. I break out the big boy if I need to go manual.

Yea, general consumers gravitate towards that bigger MP is better. Then they go and use that same camera for either putting on the web (which a sub 1MP will do nicely) or for printing 4X6 shots, which a 2MP will do nicely, with cropping. In the end they usually shoot at max MP and just wind up filling up their card quicker. Personally I think camera companies should focus P&S at 6MP and concentrate on reliability and lower price. Once Joe Consumer figures out the whole MP thing, maybe they'll go in that direction.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
My dad just bought one a couple weeks before christmas for $150 at best buy:deal

I like manual controls because I often find myself out for a walk/hike or whatever with a ps in my pocket, then see something I wanna get a shot of that would be difficult in auto mode. Of course the slr would be way better, but not if its on the desk at home..............

ps manual action;)

SD1000 on auto, pretty darn good imho

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
oh, I just emailed a lady on our craigs list to buy a olympus 770SW, I can't seem to pass up a bargain:laugh Should have it tonight if all goes according to plan.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
pilette went and picked up the little olympus. It looks like brand new and included all the stuff, the cables, manuals etc were even still sealed in their little bags. I've not really figured everything out on the camera yet, but the body is built like a tank to be sure. One cool feature is its got a built in depth meter/altimeter that records the info to the picture exif file so you know at what height or depth the pic was taken;) Anyway, for 150 it was a deal I think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts