TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK as most of you know I'm the cable guy....

Well about a week ago I went to a customers house to do a cable upgrade.. Basically they were getting digital cable(200 or so channels of cable heaven). The couple was deaf/hard of hearing.

The guy had so many things in common with me I couldn't help but tell him I was interested in them as well.... He had RC cars, rifles, pistols, a mill, 2 MC's, and they just seemed to be a great couple and I spend about 10 minutes talking to them since htey were so nice.

Well I got a call today from my Lead Tech (my super is in NYC for meetings) and he said that I had a complaint called in on me today... The guy was threatening to call the cops because they said I stole some of the metal lath bits and something else they can't find(but don't know what it is).

This really pisses me off!:coocoo I don't often take the time with customers because I don't have the time. Well this time I said **** it and talked with them(I'll never do this again!).

I talked to my lead tech about this and told him there was no way I'd ever steal from anyone period. I told him what I did and when I was alone and when the customer was with me(90% of the time). Time passes....

My lead tech calls me back and said he talked to them and they sounded as dumbfounded as I was that this is happening..... This got me thinking... I had the gentleman move some items(speakers mainly) out of the way because I I couldn't reach the splitter etc. I'm thinking that he might have misplaced these items then...

I guess what irks me the most is that these are probably genuine people, but wtf ya know... Maybe I'm blowing this way out of porportion, but there is no way I'd steal. I actually like this job and have way too much to lose over ****ing mill/ lath bits!

So, from the sounds of it, my job isn't in jepordy, but damn I don't know what to do! I guess I'm just going to have to wait till Tuesday after my Lead Tech goes out there to take a look around....

Sorry for the long rant!!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Sounds very very uncool man!

But I think you shouldn't stop taking time for customers if it's an interesting conversation! It can make your workingday alot more fun!

They probably overreacted.. and hopefully they find out soon..

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
They're cable customers (there will never be a shortage of them either) so treat them like dollar signs and you'll never go wrong, take the time to be nice to them and bs a little and they will attempt to take advantage of you like those two did.
Good luck keeping this out of your file.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...that's the risk you take when ever you make a "house call"...there's always plenty of people trying to get paid for doing no work:rant...

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Hopefully he has the honesty to call back, tail between his legs, after he finds his lathe bits.

As an insurance adjuster, I also make "house calls". I had a lady accuse me of all kinds of shit. It even made it into my last review. Funny thing was, my boss had to deal with her a bit after the review was written. She quickly came to realize the woman is a nut job.

Whatever. My salary is capped at the max anyway, so minimal raises come my way regardless of my performance. :banghead I do my best for the pride of a job well done anyway.

Sorry for the hijack, but if you are gonna tell work stories... :laugh

·
Registered
618 Posts
That sucks man..............
It double sucks when you get blamed for something that you didn't do, and being called a thief just makes you sick inside.
Regards Sonny

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hopefully your boss actually thinks that you wouldnt do such a thing and stands up for you. I had a similar situation and my boss sorted it out cause he knew it was all bullshit
Good luck mate hope it all pans out

·
Registered
790 Posts
metal lathe bits? did you even go into an area of the house where these would normally be kept, such as the garage? :coocoo

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was in the basement and there is where he kept his lathe..... I was down there 90% of the time with him there and or him working the lathe...

This bothers me big time just for the fact that I wouldn't ever do this! People tell me not to lose sleep over this, but I will. Maybe I'm just overly emotional, but honesty is a big thing to me! If you don't have someone's trust, what do you have.... grrrr this blows!

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
At work about three years ago a digital camera disappeared. I guess I lost it, not sure... maybe it was stolen. :dunno

Anyways because I'm the I.T. guy, I felt like I was a criminal. I could not identify what for/or who used it last. I offered to buy them a replacement. The one that was lost was about a year old (Canon Nikon 2.0 mega pixel). The replacement was a Canon Nikon 3.2 mega pixel). They only made me pay for half of it though which is good.

Today, I would say I have no idea. I can't be responsible for every piece of I.T. equipment in our office. If I don't use it, I’m not responsible. Management may have a different view on this but if so I'll walk. If I was going to steal, it would be something much more in demand.

Brush it off and don't worry about it. Hopefully, your boss knows you better than that.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I'm also an IT guy. I'm responsible for three offices in Dallas and about 20-30 home users. This is exactly why I don't make house calls. We don't directly support the home users as a company policy. If something breaks that I can't fix over the phone, I send a courier to pick up the computer. Reading this post puts it into perspective and makes me really appreciate this policy.

I can only imagine the possibilities of your job where you might find yourself in the home of a dillusional attractive woman who thinks you took advantage of her. :O

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not work related but on the same lines. I ent on my lunch break to Target, I was there picking up some diapers for my daughter so of course I'm in the childrens section. While I'm there I take a look at some shirt for my little girl, meanwhile there are a few people around me. I got to the checkout and pay for my items, As I'm walking to my car an employee follows e to my car and writes my license plate down and runs back into the store. I drove up to the front of the store and flagged down an manager standing out side. What happened was a women that was shopping in the chilrens section got her purse stolen, since I was the only GUY near by and I looked like a criminal with all my tattoo's and clothing. I was wearing my work uniform (Auto Mechanic). She said I must have stolen her purse. WTF! Outside she keep on telling that I stole it and I whent threw her purse and threw it away in the mens bathroom. After the police showed up and took her inside the store I was talking to another officer outside. The lady and the officer come walking outside and guess what, she's got her purse in hand. Turns out this dumb bitch was on the cell phone while shopping and walked away from her cart for a second and walked back to what she thought was her cart. Well it wasn't, she walked back to the wrong cart and freaked out when her purse wasn't there. F-ing people these day's! Sorry to hear about what happened to you, hopfuly they will find the items the lost.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Amazing Plymouth6. Did she apologize? I doubt it.

People have no integrity any more. :banghead

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
story sounds all too familiar :doh Sorry they called you a rat :bs I've had similar calls made on me in my 7yrs with the phone company, but the good have always out weighed the bad..........I continue to treat everyone the same, with respect and courtesy. Some will appreciate it and others will take advantage of it :O It's not my job to sort out the people, I am only responsible for myself.

·
Registered
871 Posts
that sucks man hope it works out ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P.S. how did the bits work, were they sharp enough? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :doh

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
might as well go over and really steal something if you're getting blamed for it

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Try dealing with a wife that hates the Army and her husband. I can't get into details but I'm probably looking at a Congressional within the next few months.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:doh that sucks, but they don't know you and probably honestly thought you'd taken them if they managed to loose them around the same time you were there.

best of luck

1 - 20 of 29 Posts