TLZone Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everyone and the shop manual says to leave the right pinch bolts alone when removing the front wheel. of course, that was the first thing I did.

does anyone know where to find assembly procedure for the pinch bolts?
also, has anyone used fork stands with the axle out?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Have you downloaded the workshop manual from Steve's TL1000S pages ?
Have a look under "Chassis - front wheel"

When i remove the front wheel i either use a paddock stand that lifts in the steering stem, or suspend the bike from the roof..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I have the manual and under front wheel removal it says to leave the pinch bolts alone, and on install it says the same. I snugged them back up but I don't want to torque the axle until I understand why the bolts need to stay tight. On my 2007 bandit both sides pinch bolts need to be undone, i think its called a "captured axle" while the TL seems to have the inverse, a "captured nut". I'm hoping i just need to find the page in the manual, and not a specialty tool or something.

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,302 Posts
.....yes I have the manual and under front wheel removal it says to leave the pinch bolts alone, and on install it says the same. I snugged them back up but I don't want to torque the axle until I understand why the bolts need to stay tight. ..... I'm hoping i just need to find the page in the manual, and not a specialty tool or something.
Pages 6-9 and 6-10 provide the procedure for installing the front wheel after removal.

The left pinch bolts are not loosened (at least initially) because they clamp the axle nut when the axle is unscrewed. Obviously, there is no accommodation to put a wrench on the axle nut. So then, when it is time to reassemble, the nut is still secure and the axle can be torqued to spec.

Of course, the axle nut can be removed from the left fork leg if necessary, but then reinstalled per the directions in the manual.

Make sense?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts