TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PICS of the accident location.

That turn is sharp even though it does not look bad in the pics.

Coming up this road into this turn

Another picture

The turn

What I saw before I went down. The exit of the turn.

Perhaps the reason I went down once I went wide. Oh SH!T

ACORNS

Guardrail :eek

CLOSE up

Where I landed between the guardrail and fence.

The view I don't remember across the street in the curve.

Be safe out there. In looking at it, I still can't recall what/why it happened.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That occured on September 22 I think. Anyways fracture pelvis illac crest. Not sure what part of the illac crest. I can't understand them damn xrays.

The bike is beat up. Needs everything, cosmetic wise. I'll be parting it, or selling it as a whole down the road. Tomorow, I might venture downstairs to take pics and start taking the broken bits off. Stairs are tough but I'm bored so why not. I might just hobble around to the back door. Out of work as of now until NOV 1st. I got a feeling I may need surgery. Waiting to see if it mends on it's own. In the third week I'm starting to doubt it.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
damn Del u must have been flying since the skid marks are a mile long.. im glad it wasnt too too bad.. u can always by another bike..once that pelvis heals up ull be good to go.. just make sure give it all the time u have to rest it up and once ur ready for riding ill lend u my bike for a weekend..:thumbup

Ash

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
:eek scary stuff ... trees are starting to drop their leaves on my favourite roads round here too :(

Glad you're ok though ... relatively speaking :yes

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Man, that really bites. If I was looking at the pics right, you went down around the crest. Could have simply been suspension unloading at speed leaned over and a bobble in the controls.
Glad you are sort of okay though. You could have found a softer place to crash. Count your lucky stars.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I think the pictures explain why this happened Del. I'm glad you are still with us & not paralyzed. Looks like those roads are ones you can't just go balls out on as there are no corner workers holding up a debris flag to give you a warning of a compromised surface coming up. I bet anyone going the speed you were would have probably gone down unless you had tons more room to lean the bike further over.

After my hairy ass crash at the Cali Speedway I am not only out riding again but doing it at racetracks. It definitely was very weird rolling out at first, especially when the track I first rode at was the place I got seriously injured at! I'm glad I did it though Del. My goal was to try to at least chase the demons away & ride back on a track one more time. Just one time would have been OK for me given how badly injured I was. Now I am starting to get back up to the pace I was at before, not quite railing yet but pushing it fairly hard. Never would have believed I'd be back at this point after a few years of rehab. Every time I get frustrated that I am not quite there I stop myself & reflect on where I've been. I reflect on the image I saw just before I closed my eyes & told myself to relax (& what made me say "OH SHIET"): Being airborne & seeing nothing but blue sky & then the nose of my TLS staring at me, tumbling along with me high up in the air ready to hit me - with the blue California sky in the background.

There are places you can ride hard at and others where you need to take it easier or you will eventually get hurt. It's not the bike Del...

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I'm glad those aren't pics of your asshole like the title of the post suggested.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Your a lucky guy Del that rail could have easy been the end of you mate.
on the up side looks like a great road to ride if it was over here it would have cow crap all over it and pot holes on blind bends:)
get well soon mate

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Well, at least its a very pretty road:) Its easy to see how it could bit a person though, sorta a weird turn and with that rise in the middle you probably didn't have much grip when/if the bike went light. Lots of stuff on the sides too.

best of luck:thumbup

·
Registered
327 Posts
Glad that you are ok! But those pics from that road remind me of the track I was on in Nebraska. LOTS of armco. Just cant target fixate on that stuff.

As you can see it was all around the track.

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
looks very simular to the apex on a corner that claimed me.

YAMAHA DT 250 1F trail bike. just had my licence for 1 week.
down the dirt road from our farm. the corner id been up & down there hundreds of times shifting sheep etc.

this one day i hit the corner but just couldnt make it around so i deliberatly ran wide to get around but amungst the weeds was a limb stone rock the size of a 6 seater dining table that telstra telecom ripped out with the dozers when they laid the phone cable.

well the bike stoped & i ended over the fence & out cold. eventualy woke up & rode the bike home about 1/2 klm only problem was i could not turn right.
had a slight bent fork problem :laugh
got them pressed straight & was all fixed except my pride.
i respect that corner allways.
to top it off my brother inlaw ripped his sump out on the rock about 6 mths later & he took to the rock slab with a 30lb sledge hammer. it took him a week but no more rock :laugh

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Looks like typical Va country road..Looks like crown in the middle of the road inthe turn may of caused a u to go down,unless there was something before the turn.back roads around here are all uneven like that and almost feel like a fine gravel thats been compacted together instead of a pavement.Is that tire skid mark yours?? its pretty long and before the turn..Hope all is well and u heal up without surgery..But if u want to start parting the bike and need help taking things off it give me a call i can help u out on weekends..

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No... I don't think so, The cop on the scene stated my skid mark was not that bad relatively speaking. He measured it and he did not think I was speeding. I told him I was running about 40-45 which is the speed limit. This curve is 20MPH though. My skid mark was not long enough for him to justify giving me a ticket. This is a picture of the corner and the road nearly three weeks after I went down. I don't recall hitting the brakes much because I saw though the turn. The locals told me several cars run off the road there. I do not think those skid marks are mine.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
oh ok..i was looking at skid mark on 5th photo down from the top looks like single motorcycle mark...glad ur ok gaurd rails are no joke!!!

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah...

I was coming from the direction the camera is pointed in picture one and two.

Coming into the turn from the some-what straight.

Picture five is the exit of the turn and what I saw prior to losing it in the acorns, debris gravel, etc. on the shoulder of the road just before smacking the guardrail.

The bike needs the following. She turns over and will likely start once I charge the battery a bit. The lights where on at the accident. I don't know how long it was on before turned off. Battery has 11.5 volts currently.

Here's what it needs to be return to stock or street fighter it and save a bit.

This is what I was planning on doing.

Ding in tank. U might be able to pull it out. Rad bent but I believe to be functional still ??

Right and left clips on. Not sure maybe tweaked maybe just out a little.

Right front brake lever, foot brake pedal

Front headlight/speedo bracket, headlight, speedo. The Speedo I have works and is repairable, mirrors,

Fairings recommend complete set. Need left and right front fairing pieces dash fairing pieces and the under the headlight piece.

Carbon inlays. I have two that will work but scuffed up. Rear tail pieces.

That’s about it.

Forks look okay.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
deltl1ks said:
Anyways fracture pelvis illac crest. Not sure what part of the illiac crest. I can't understand them damn xrays.
I can sympathise with the pain, I had a bone graft from my illiac crest to repair my smashed wrist and that so called "Bone Harvest" hurt more and for longer than the wrist. All your main leg muscles attached to the illiac crest and they have to tear them off to do a bone graft, similar outcome I guess for a fracture aswell.

I know how you feel after a major smash, takes some time to get motivated again. It's been 8 months since mine and I have no enthusiasm to go racing again at the moment, hopefully it will come back when the daily pain subsides and lets me forget about it. I hope so, cos riding/racing bikes is a big part of my life.

I also sold the supermoto "toy" that caused it, straight away, similar to you wanting rid of the TL, must be a self preservation thing ?

You will get better and I'm sure only good will come of it all :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts